This one-year International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights postgraduate degree course at the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights provides advanced, comprehensive and practical training in international humanitarian law (IHL) and international human rights law (IHRL), international criminal law, as well as the interplay between them.
Students gain access to a world-renowned faculty, benefit from direct connections with leading actors in the field like the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), and share ideas with other participants from an array of different legal backgrounds and perspectives.
The programme allows students to tailor their studies according to their particular interests. Core courses provide a firm grounding in public international law, IHL, IHRL, international refugee law and international criminal law.
Optional courses allow students to deepen their expertise in a particular issue such as counter-terrorism, armed non-state actors, transitional justice, the rules governing the conduct of hostilities or the work of international courts and tribunals.
Our LLM is also profoundly committed to developing the transferable skills necessary to succeed in the professional world and take up responsibilities in the humanitarian and human rights fields. To this end, internships with leading actors and participation in moot courts provide a solid exposure to practical work and allow students to expand their network.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- International Law
- International Refugee Law
- International Human Rights Law
- International Criminal Law
- International Humanitarian Law
- Introduction to The Islamic Law of Armed Conflict
- Enforced Disappearances in International Law
- The International Criminal Court: Selected Issues
- Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- Amnesty and Transitional Justice
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Law Legal Studies Master of Laws (LLM) View 16 other Masters in International Law in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A full degree in law (received by June at the latest) enabling the applicant to sit the bar exam in the relevant country; or another degree if the applicant has a significant amount of training in public international law and courses related to our programme (e.g. international human rights law, international humanitarian law, international criminal law)
- A strong academic record
- A demonstrable interest in the subject matter of the programme (e.g. professional experience, internships, summer school, conferences attended, publications, etc.)
- A sound command of English. You must be able to show, via a recognized test, that your English is of a high enough standard to successfully engage with and complete your course at the Geneva Academy.
- A passive knowledge of French is an asset as students might have to attend conferences and class presentations in French
International18399 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18399 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
National18399 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18399 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
- Full programme: 18,000 Swiss Francs
Living costs for Genève
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.