The programme is delivered through Blackboard, the University's virtual learning environment (VLE), where all learning resources are available and accessible at all times by students. As for the face-to-face programme, students on the MSc Gerontology (DL) take six modules plus the dissertation. The MSc Gerontology (Distance Learning), offered by University of Southampton, include research methods training.
- critical appreciation of key theoretical perspectives in gerontology and their application to the analysis of issues concerning ageing and the life course
- understanding of contemporary debates in gerontology surrounding the lives of older people, their families and societies in developed and developing countries
- the ability to evaluate policies and initiatives concerning population ageing, welfare provision and quality of life of older people, their families and carers
- competence in qualitative and quantitative research methods and their application to key research questions
- the ability to design and conduct independent research in gerontology using appropriate research methods
- preparation for a career in the field of gerontology and applied health and social sciences
- Perspectives in Gerontology (DL)
- Researching Ageing Societies (DL)
- Quantitative Research Methods (DL)
- Poverty and Social Protection Around The World (DL)
- Mental Health and Ageing (DL)
- Ageing, Health & Well-Being (DL)
- Demographic Change, Ageing & Globalisation (DL)
- Qualitative Research Methods (DL)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- No Attendance
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesSociology Health Sciences View 1244 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
- We welcome applications from students holding, or expecting to hold, a British bachelors (honours) upper second-class degree or higher, or the equivalent.
- Students without the usual entry qualifications may be admitted, with the requisite approval, on the basis of relevant work experience or professional qualifications. Mature applicants without formal qualifications but with relevant experience are also welcomed and will be considered.
- For all applications, two academic references are required. Unfortunately, we cannot consider applications until we have received both references.
International18104 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18104 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9250 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Part-time fee: UK/EU: £4,625
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.