You will expand your technical skills in digital film, working across a number of specialisms from development and finance, to exhibition and distribution.
The MA Film at University of the Arts London (UAL) places a strong emphasis on collaborative production to reflect the professional realities of the sector, where the traditional auteur model is becoming less relevant. You will learn how to build your professional networks and become equipped to operate in a wide range of industry disciplines.
MA Film is a practical course in the production of film drama; from development and finance to distribution and exhibition. It is designed for students who want a hands-on, industry-orientated course in the creative, technical and practical aspects of digital film production.
Taught through a combination of tutorials, lectures, technical workshops, mentoring, masterclasses and work placements, the course allows you to focus on one key specialism and develop it at postgraduate level while encouraging you to engage creatively with related disciplines and wider filmic processes.
Within the Collaborative Unit, you have a choice of pathways where you can collaborate with external partners as well as with other courses within UAL. These pathways could be realised through work placements, cross-disciplinary collaboration, initiatives towards the Major Project or a combination of activities.
The theoretical programme underscores all of the practical elements of the course and offers a shared process for students to explore both their own and each other’s work.
What to expect
- The course aims to produce graduates who are self-reliant, highly motivated and able to successfully navigate this increasingly competitive industry.
- Applicants must demonstrate developed skills and an understanding of their chosen specialism at application, with major and minor roles allocated accordingly.
- Statement of Intent
- Major Project
- Major Project (pre-production proper and production)
- Secondary Roles
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 315 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- Honours degree (of at least lower second class (2:2) is desirable but not essential)
- Possession of equivalent qualifications
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Personal statement
International22920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22920 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
EU/EEA11220 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11220 GBP per year and a duration of 15 months.
Postgraduate loans of up to £10,000 are now available for eligible UK and EU students.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.