Teaching in the Master's Programme in Forest Sciences at the University of Helsinki is based on top level research. The goal of our teaching is to educate students to become experts in the field of forest sciences. Studies in the programme provide a strong basis that spurs on independent and critical thinking. Multidisciplinary thinking and problem-solving skills are emphasized in teaching. Students learn to evaluate forest-related phenomena that influence ecological, economical and social issues.
The Master’s Programme in Forest Sciences offers a broad and versatile perspective on forests and their use.
The studies focus on and apply knowledge in biology, business economics, environmental sciences, logistics, geoinformatics and information technology. As a graduate in forest sciences you will be a professional in forest ecology, the management and use of forest resources, forest bioeconomy business and policy, with ample career opportunities in Finland and abroad.
Masters in Forest Sciences are working across the forestry and natural resources sectors as experts, managers, and decision-makers in international and domestic companies, municipal and state administration and research. The degree of Master of Science (Agriculture and Forestry) also provides the ability to work in positions outside the field of forestry.
Graduates from Forest Ecology and Management have found employment in the fields of forestry, nature conservation, and environmental science both nationally and internationally. Our education offers transferable skills for many fields in society. The work can include research, management and consulting using measured and modelled information on forest resources, carbon balances, biodiversity and climate change.
Graduates from Forest Economics and Marketing typically find employment as experts in organizations where environmental and economic issues are combined, such as industry marketing and management, research and consulting, as well as in the public sector in national or international levels.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Marketing and management in the forest industry: strategic management and marketing, responsibility in forest bioeconomy, customer orientation, innovations
- Business economics of units within forest bioeconomy, economics of silviculture, forest investment and the economic impact of environmental targets
- Forest owners’ goals and behaviour, structure of forest ownership
- International forest policy: global processes and trends impacting the forest sector from the perspective of individuals, communities and nations
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
The application period is 1.12. - 4.1.
DisciplinesSustainable Development Forestry Environmental Sciences View 12 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have completed or will complete by 31 August a first-cycle degree or a second-cycle degree (degrees from universities of applied sciences included) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete applicable studies required for the master’s programme by 15 January.
- You have sufficient proficiency in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.