How to avoid microbial spoilage of foods? How is knowledge of microbiology applied in medicine and industry, or in food production? What research techniques are used to study viruses, bacteria and other microbes?
In the Master's Programme in Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology (MMB) from University of Helsinki , you find answers to these and many other important questions. You learn about the global significance of microbes as processors of life and the environment. You will gain the potential and the tools for the development of new innovations in food or drug industry or in other biotechnological applications.
Upon completing your degree, you will:
- Understand the global significance of microbes as remodelers and processors of life and the environment
- Understand the most important functions and molecular mechanisms of the major groups of microbes
- Understand the potential use of microbes in biotechnological applications, such as foodstuffs, drugs, and industrial processes
- Be able to evaluate the effects of changes in the environment on microbial communities and thus on the function of the biosphere
- Be able to assess the use of microbes in a variety of environments and situations
- Be able to evaluate ethical questions and the prerequisites of commercialisation related to the use of microbes and biotechnology
- Be aware of the most important pathogens and their virulence mechanisms
- Master the most important microbiological and biotechnological research methods, and be proficient in the interpretation and evaluation of research results
- Have the capability to plan and lead activities in microbiology and biotechnology
- Be able to disseminate relevant information about your topic in an international environment
As a master of science graduating from the master’s programme in Microbiology and microbial biotechnology you will be well prepared to:
- continue your studies toward a doctoral degree
- specialise as a hospital microbiologist
- proceed directly to a career in working life
Statistically, the situation for microbiologists proceeding to employment has been very favourable. As a microbiology graduate, you can work in the following sectors:
- Research and development (universities, research institutes, companies)
- Surveillance/monitoring in healthcare, food and environment (food industry, drug and diagnostics industry, regulatory authority)
- Administration, professional roles and consultancy (companies, ministries, supervision offices, EU)
- Business and management (companies, ministries, supervisory offices, EU)
- Teaching and education (universities, universities of applied sciences, vocational schools, high schools, comprehensive schools, organisations)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
There is intensive interaction between teachers and students in the Master’s Programme in Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology.
A variety of learning methods are used in the courses, including:
- Laboratory work, seminars, lectures
- Oral presentations
- Written reports (individual, paired, group)
- Independent reading
- Work practice, instruction in research groups, project courses
- Oral group exams, written exams, home essays
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiotechnology Microbiology Molecular Sciences View 5 other Masters in Biotechnology in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligibility to apply for a master's programme requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.