Life Sciences is one of the strategic research fields at the University of Helsinki .
The multidisciplinary Master’s Programme in Life Science Informatics (LSI)integrates research excellence and research infrastructures in the Helsinki Institute of Life Sciences (HiLIFE). As a student, you will gain access to active research communities on three campuses: Kumpula, Viikki, and Meilahti.
The unique combination of study opportunities tailored from the offering of the three campuses provides an attractive educational profile.
As a graduate of the Life Science Informatics programme at University of Helsinki you will:
- Have first class knowledge and capabilities for a career in life science research and in expert duties in the public and private sectors
- Competence to work as a member of a group of experts
- Have understanding of the regulatory and ethical aspects of scientific research
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills for employment in an international and interdisciplinary professional setting
- Understand the general principles of mathematical modelling, computational, probabilistic and statistical analysis of biological data, and be an expert in one specific specialisation area of the LSI programme
- Understand the logical reasoning behind experimental sciences and be able to critically assess research-based information
- Have mastered scientific research, making systematic use of investigation or experimentation to discover new knowledge
- Have the ability to report results in a clear and understandable manner for different target groups
- Have good opportunities to continue your studies for a doctoral degree
After completing the Master Programme in Life Science Informatics (LSI), you have excellent opportunities to apply and perform postgraduate studies either at the University of Helsinki, at other universities in Finland, or abroad. As a graduate, you can also find employment, for example, in health sector enterprises, such as bioindustry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureThe Master’s Programme in Life Science Informatics has four study tracks:
- Bioinformatics and Systems Medicine
- Eco-evolutionary Informatics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Informatics & Information Sciences Genetics View 27 other Masters in Informatics & Information Sciences in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligibility to apply for a master's programme requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Helsinki
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.