In this Particle Physics and Astrophysical Sciences programme from University of Helsinki you will also acquire proficiency in the use of mathematical methods, IT tools and/or experimental equipment, as well as strong problem-solving and logical deduction skills. These will qualify you for a career in research or for a wide range of positions in the private sector.
The Master's Programme in Particle Physics and Astrophysical Sciences has two study tracks:
- elementary particle physics and cosmology and
- astrophysical sciences.
What are the laws of nature governing the universe from elementary particles to the development of the solar system, stars, and galaxies? In the Master’s Programme in Particle Physics and Astrophysical Sciences, you will focus on gaining a quantitative understanding of these phenomena.
With the expertise in basic research that you will gain in the programme, you might pursue a career in research. You will also acquire proficiency in the use of mathematical methods, IT tools and/or experimental equipment, as well as strong problem-solving and logical deduction skills. These will qualify you for a wide range of positions in the private sector.
After completing the programme, you will:
- Have wide-ranging knowledge of particle physical and/or astrophysical phenomena.
- Have good analytical and computational skills and the ability to make sophisticated deductions.
- Be able to apply theoretical, computational and/or experimental methods to the analysis and understanding of various phenomena.
- Be able to apply your knowledge of particle physical and astrophysical phenomena as well as identify their interconnections.
- Be able to formulate hypotheses and test them based your knowledge.
Potential employers and career opportunities include:
- Research institutes in Finland and abroad (basic scientific research)
- Universities and universities of applied sciences (teaching)
- Industry, particularly high technology companies (applied research and development, managerial duties)
- Software production, e.g., the game sector
- Diverse planning and consulting positions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Quantum Statistics
- Path Integral Quantization of Gauge Field Theories
- Quantum Field Theory
- Open problems in modern astrophysics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences Molecular Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Eligibility to apply for a master's programme requires an applicable bachelor's degree or other equivalent qualification.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.