- have a solid understanding of the essential concepts, theories, and experimental methods of materials research.
- know the different types of materials and will be able to apply and adapt theories and experimental methods to new problems in the field and assess critically other scientists’ work.
- be able to communicate information in your field to both colleagues and laymen.
Depending on the study line you choose you will gain in-depth understanding of:
- The synthesis, processing, structure and properties of inorganic materials
- Modelling methods in materials research
- The structure and dynamics of biomolecular systems
- The synthesis, structure and properties of polymers
- Applications of materials research in industrial applications
- The use of methods of physics in medicine
Experts in materials research are needed not only in research institutes and universities but also in high-tech industries as well as in hospitals. Employers of our graduates include industries like:
- the technology industry (electronics and electrotechnical industry, information technology, mechanical engineering, metal industry, consulting)
- the chemical industry
- the forest industry
- the energy industry
- medical technology
Many of our MSc graduates have also continued their studies in doctoral programmes in Finland and abroad.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
At the beginning of your studies, you will make a personal study plan with the help of teaching staff, where you choose your study line. The programme has six study lines representing different branches of materials research.
- Experimental materials physics
- Computational materials physics
- Medical physics
- Polymer materials chemistry
- Inorganic materials chemistry
- Electronics and industrial applications
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Application period: 1 December- 15 January
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Physics Chemistry View 19 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Finland
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You have completed by 31 July a first-cycle degree (e.g., bachelor’s degree) or second-cycle degree (e.g., master’s degree) or a postgraduate degree in Finland or abroad.
- You have completed or will complete studies required for the master’s programme by 11 January.
- You are able to demonstrate your proficiency in English, Finnish or Swedish
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries, who do not have a permanent residence status in the area and pursue their studies in English, are liable to pay tuition fees.
- Fully Funded Grant (Tuition fee + 10 000 EUR)
- Full Tuition fee Grant
- Study Grant (10 000 EUR)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.