Some of the major innovations in performance practices over the past hundred years have been drawn from scenographic developments. The MA/MFA Scenography courses at The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama approach scenography from multiple practical and theoretical perspectives to create new opportunities for experimentation and authorship.
- Develop authorship through performance design, working with a dynamic interplay of practice and theory, informed by a variety of disciplines including film, sculpture, sound, digital media, puppetry, choreography and architecture
- A balance of independent and collaborative work
- A professional focus through mentors, tutors and industry partners
Our approachWith a balanced mix of collaborative and independent work, and a particular attention to the interplay of practice and theory, the courses include:
- workshops and mentoring to explore speculative and operative uses/misuses of processes and tools, ranging from dramaturgy, model making and technical drawing to audio-visual media, casting, interactive sensor technologies and 3D printing;
- studies in relevant historical and theoretical frameworks and contexts for understanding and developing practice.
More informationVisit official programme website
For more information please visit the program website.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no formal closing date for direct applications
DisciplinesTheatre & Dance View 173 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You should normally have an undergraduate degree in the broad field of performance, drama studies or a design subject, although applications from students of other disciplines (e.g. visual arts, architecture, sonic arts) will be considered. Applications from those with at least two years' relevant experience will also be considered. An offer will normally only be made after interview.
An MFA top-up year for those with an existing MA in this subject is also available.
International18668 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18668 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9333 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9333 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.