About Language Technology at University of Gothenburg
Have you ever wondered how Google manages to find relevant documents, even documents that do not contain any of the words you used in your search? Have you ever wished to get an answer to a question rather than a list of documents? Have you ever talked to a conversational assistant on your smartphone, or to a computer on the phone about travel plans and wished it would work better? Have you ever used translation on the web and wondered how it could be improved?
These are just some of the questions you will explore as a student of the Language Technology programme of the University of Gothenburg is about getting computers to process, use, and understand human language, and involves collaboration between a number of different fields. However, it is not only about research.
Lately, conversational assistants such as Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and Apple’s Siri have received a lot of attention. These are just some of many examples of high-profile commercial applications of language technology.
Combining theory with a hands-on approach
Teaching is closely connected to research and is characterized by a focus on hybrid approaches combining theoretical and rule-based approaches with statistical and machine learning techniques. You will learn about linguistic theory as applied to language technology, and about modern approaches to language technology, from researchers who are actively engaged in developing current and future technologies. Our teachers are engaged in areas such as text technology and linguistic data resources, grammar technology and linguistic theory, and dialogue technology and spoken interaction. You will participate in hands-on practical training grounded in theory and research, which will enable you to pursue a specialist career in industry or academic research.
- Formal Linguistics
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Dialogue Systems
- Linguistic Resources
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Artificial Intelligence Linguistics View 20 other Masters in Artificial Intelligence in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree (at least three years full-time study) in language technology, computational linguistics, computer science or linguistics (with at least 30 credits, corresponding to half a year full-time study, in formal linguistics or programming)
- An undergraduate degree in cognitive science, languages, philosophy, software engineering, information technology or mathematics can also be considered provided they can show a background in either programming or formal linguistics corresponding to 30 credits, half a year full-time study
- Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 5/English A from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS
- A personal letter
- Grades from previous relevant higher education
International12829 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25659 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 280 000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.