The first semester of the first year the students take two introductory courses in both programming for language technological applications and relevant concepts and theories from formal linguistics. They will also get overviews of the main areas of modern language technology. This will be followed by a general introduction to natural language processing, NLP (the nuts and bolts of getting computers to understand and process human language) and programming for NLP.
The Language Technology programme is offered by University of Gothenburg.
The second semester starts with both dialogue systems and statistical methods used in language technology. At this point, if you are taking the one year degree, you will also carry out a short master's project.
Since most of the students aim for the two year degree, they will instead continue with courses on processing the structure of language, syntax and its meaning (semantics). The first semester of the second year offers a choice from a variety of courses in language technology and related areas.
The final semester of the two year degree is entirely devoted to project work.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to programming for NLP
- Introduction to formal linguistics
- Speech and dialogue technology
- Statistical methods for NLP
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students with an undergraduate degree (at least three years full-time study) in language technology, computational linguistics, computer science or linguistics (with at least 30 credits, corresponding to half a year full-time study, in formal linguistics or programming) are eligible to apply for this programme.
- Students with an undergraduate degree in cognitive science, languages, philosophy, software engineering, information technology or mathematics can also be considered provided they can show a background in either programming or formal linguistics corresponding to 30 credits, half a year full-time study.
International12772 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25544 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 268 000 SEK
- First payment: 67 000 SEK
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.