Students may choose between a course M.A. and a thesis M.A. The first involves four courses, three of which should be 7000/700-level History courses. In addition, the student is required to select a major field, and must pass both a written and an oral comprehensive examination upon that field. The second choice involves two 7000/700-level courses and the presentation of a thesis. In both programs the student is required to demonstrate a reading knowledge of a second language (French for Canadian History).
Students in the program with no previous training in Historiography and/or Historical Methods will need to take a 6 credit hour graduate course in this field. In addition, all students in the program will be required to demonstrate a reading knowledge of a second language, relevant to their research program.
The Course and Major Research Paper streams are designed as 12-month programs, while the Thesis and Archival Studies streams are designed as two-year programs. All necessary requirements for the MA in History, offered by the University of Winnipeg, must be fulfilled within four years of the original date of entry into the JMP. Students must re-register for each year until their program is completed.
- Graduates are prepared to enter PhD programs or to put their knowledge to work as teachers or
- Professional researchers or to find employment in government, the law, journalism, museums, libraries, archives.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Tropical Africa In The 19th and 20th Centuries
- Canadian-american Relations
- Imperialism, Decolonization, and Neo-colonialism, 1700-present
- Popular Radicalism In The Modern World
- Early Modern European History
- The Russian Revolution
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 55 other Masters in History in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- For admission into any stream in the Joint Master's Program, candidates must hold a B.A. Honours degree or equivalent in History with at least a ‘B’ or second class standing. Students who lack this qualification but who have an acceptable general degree with a history major (and an average of B in their history courses) are generally admitted to the Pre-M.A. program.
- All potential graduate students, particularly those currently enrolled in B.A. Advanced programs, should discuss their graduate programs with the Chair of either the Joint Master's Program (M.A. applicants) or the Chair of the Graduate Excecutive Committee in History (Pre-MA and Ph.D. applicants).
International5874 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5874 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
National2670 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2670 USD per year and a duration of 48 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.