Supervised Marriage and Family Therapy courses (i.e., practicum), offered by the University of Winnipeg, make up 24 of the 63 credit hours in the Program. Students are required to provide 500 hours of therapy under supervision in order to graduate with a Master’s degree. The usual ratio is around 2 hours of supervision for every 5 hours of therapy.
Most of these hours are completed at Aurora Family Therapy Centre, located on the University of Winnipeg campus. During the last year of practicum, students are required to take Graduate Seminar. This course combines their learning across the degree and provides a capstone experience in the final paper. Students research and articulate their own integrated theory of therapy with examples from their client work.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Marriage and Family Therapy (MMFT) is designed for those who want a quality professional education/training in this field. School counselors, social workers, pastoral workers and other helping professionals may use this training to develop a specialty in relationship therapy; or mature persons with an unrelated undergraduate degree and work experience may choose this program as a vehicle for career change.
- The program is structured for part-time study. Under extenuating circumstances, when part-time study is not possible, we would accommodate a student’s need for a full-time study (3 years).
- 36 months
- 84 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Psychology Sociology View 86 other Masters in Psychology in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed Application Form
- Official academic transcripts
- Three References
- The application fee (non-refundable): $100.00 for domestic applicants, $120.00 for international applicants
- A Resume: Be specific about employer and volunteer work including dates and whether full or part-time, including percentage part-time.
- An Essay: A brief autobiography (2 – 5 pages) including a description of your family of origin (i.e., the family in which you grew up), cultural background, health and educational history, and how some or all of that influenced your wish to be a marriage and family therapist.
International9676 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9676 CAD per year and a duration of 36 months.
National4699 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4699 CAD per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.