The Master of Information Technology Security (MITS) program from University of Ontario Institute of Technology is one of the first of its kind in Canada and one of few specialized IT security graduate degree programs available in the world. Through theory and applied learning, the program enables students to develop an extensive understanding of business and information technology security, polish communication skills and examine business and IT ethics in a team environment.
To achieve the objectives of the program and to enhance students' learning experience, it is important for the program to provide students with the necessary hands-on skills and knowledge. The Faculty of Business and Information Technology provides a Hacker Research Lab to enhance the curriculum of the MITS program. This lab facility hosts an array of network settings and consists of a variety of network equipment and wireless devices in a secure setting. It offers students a secluded environment within which to work on various IT security projects and experiments.
The MITS curriculum contains the domains found in the Certified Information Systems Security Profession (CISSP) exam. The curriculum also provides students with the opportunity to apply core course concepts to a substantial project in the workplace. This plan of study introduces students to the fundamental knowledge of the ever-changing IT security field. MITS graduates will not only be able to understand and apply the best of current practice but will also be able to act as managers of transformation to improve that practice as the field evolves. MITS graduates are prepared to work at different levels as IT security professionals.
MITS students have the option to study the field of Artificial Intelligence in Security within the program. This professional stream is the first of its kind in Canada and combines a deep knowledge of IT Security with hands-on knowledge of artificial intelligence systems and machine learning, and provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the applications of this technology. Graduates of this program can seek employment in the growing artificial intelligence industry as well as IT security firms.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Law and Ethics of IT Security
- Advanced Communication Networks
- Operating Systems Security
- Secure Software Systems
- Cryptography and Secure Communications
- Security Policies and Risk Management
- MITS Seminar
- Attack and Defence
- Biometrics/Access Control and Smart Card Technology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesIT Security Artificial Intelligence Machine Learning View 21 other Masters in Machine Learning in Canada
- While applicants may hold any four-year honours undergraduate degree preference is given to applicants whose undergraduate degree is in the field of information technology, engineering, science or related fields.
- Minimum overall academic standing of a B (GPA: 3.0 on a 4.3 scale or 73 to 76 per cent), with a minimum B average in the last two full-time years of undergraduate work or equivalent.
- Successful completion of at least one course in advanced programming (e.g., Java/C/C++/C#) and advanced mathematics (e.g., linear algebra, calculus, number theory, etc.), and at least one course or proven work experience in operating systems (Windows and/or Unix or Linux).
- Work experience in IT-related jobs is preferred.
International1043 CAD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1043 CAD per credit during 24 months.
National419 CAD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 419 CAD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Oshawa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.