Mission and Goals
The mission statement of the M.A. program in Philosophy (reflecting those of the Department and the University) is as follows:
Engaging in graduate study in philosophy is to engage in a process of coming to understand one’s self and one’s place in the world. And it holds that to be successful in this enquiry clear and careful thinking, the ability to question deeply held assumptions and attitudes, and a commitment to sound reasoning and careful appraisal of evidence is needed.
The goal of the Philosophy program from The American University in Cairo is therefore to offer the highest quality liberal arts education to our graduate students. Philosophy postgraduates will finish this M.A. program with an in-depth knowledge of the professional discipline as well as the detailed understanding of the history of ideas more generally. This entails rigorous training in rational and critical thought, the close reading and interpretation of some of the history of philosophy’s most challenging texts, exemplary intellectual responsibility, and the ability to clearly and effectively present the results of independently conducted research within the form of a M.A. thesis.
In the words of the executive director of the American Philosophical Association, “The skills that philosophy teaches you are wonderfully transferable.” Our program aims at teaching students advanced philosophical skills, which they will be able to usefully apply either within the context of a future professional career of or as preparation for entering a Ph.D. program at another institution. Students often register for graduate study in Philosophy because of their love of the discipline, rather than for any utilitarian purpose.
Nonetheless, a background in Philosophy can be professionally beneficial, insofar as employers and professional schools have become increasingly aware over the last couple of decades that philosophers tend to have the best training in thinking and writing, and are open and flexible.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Seminar in Classical Philosophy
- Advanced Seminar in Islamic Philosophy
- Kant and Idealism
- Advanced Seminar in Phenomenology
- Advanced Seminar in Aesthetics
- Selected Topics in Contemporary Philosophy
- Applied Ethics
- Philosophy of Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics
- An online application for graduate studies
- Online payment of the application fee
- The selection of up to two graduate programs for which the admission application will be processed
- A statement of purpose indicating the reasons of interest in the specific program
- An updated resume (CV) that must include work experience and educational background
- At least two online letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional background.
- Official academic records, of which one must be a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with proof of degree completion.
- Clear copy of the information pages of your passport
- One recent passport size photograph
International735 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 735 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National522 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 522 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.