Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language (TAFL) from The American University in Cairo host a large pool of non-native learners, while TAFL students, through a combination of study, research and hands-on training, gain experience and competence in teaching.
Students at Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language (TAFL) from The American University in Cairo will:
- promote research
- develop highly trained teachers.
- enjoy the opportunities they have to: interact with the experienced faculty members of the institute outside of classes
- Principles of Linguistic Analysis
- Second Language Acquisition
- Methods of Teaching a Foreign Language
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- Seminar on Challenges Facing AFL Teachers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Teaching Linguistics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The American University in Cairo and/or in Egypt, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants for the Master of Arts degree in TAFL should preferably hold a Bachelor of Arts degree specializing in Arabic language, Islamic studies, Middle East area studies, or a modern language.
- Applicants who are not specialized in Arabic language will need to: Take an entrance exam to be offered by the TAFL program to show that the applicant has adequate command of Arabic to qualify for admission into the program.
- An online application for graduate studies
- Online payment of the application fee
- A statement of purpose
- At least two online letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional background
- Official academic records
- English language proficiency
- Graduate students may be asked to demonstrate minimum competency in the use of computers and academic libraries as they relate to graduate study and research
- One recent passport size photograph
International22050 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 735 USD per credit during 12 months.
National17910 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 597 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Cairo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.