Interest in the Arabic language has increased greatly throughout the world. With this has come a demand for professionals trained in the field.
The Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language from The American University in Cairo requires two years’ residence and covers the following areas: linguistics, second language acquisition, and methods of teaching foreign languages. Practice teaching is also required. The courses have been structured to promote research as well as to develop highly trained teachers. In addition, a number of issues related to the role of Arabic in modern society are freshly examined, such as current methods of teaching Arabic to children, reform of the writing system, grammar reform movements, and the problem of diglossia. The TAFL program seeks to inspire new approaches to these problems.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Principles of Linguistic Analysis
- Second Language Acquisition
- Methods of Teaching a Foreign Language
- Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- Seminar on Challenges Facing AFL Teachers
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Teaching Linguistics
Applicants should preferably hold a Bachelor of Arts degree specializing in Arabic language, Islamic studies, Middle East area studies, or a modern language.
Applicants who are not specialized in Arabic language will need to:
- Take an entrance exam to be offered by the TAFL program to show that the applicant has adequate command of Arabic to qualify for admission into the program.
- Take up to 12 additional credit hours before they start their courses in the TAFL program. The number of credit hours an applicant needs to take will be decided by the academic advisor based on the applicant’s performance in the entrance exam, his/her undergraduate GPA, and his/her previous teaching experience.
International735 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 735 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National522 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 522 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.