In view of the importance of English proficiency adequate for various occasions where English is on the foreground such as international conferences, and business transactions, emphasis is put on the practice of discussion, debate and presentations in class with a view to developing students' ability to negotiate mutual agreement through the process of arguing one's own position while giving due regard to different opinions.
The Linguistics (TESOL: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) goal is to help students become citizens of the world who can communicate with the modern world and contribute to international society.
Linguistics is the scientific study of language and the cognitive nature of human being. Language enables us to conduct free and creative thinking and supports all sorts of mental and social activities. In this sense, the study of language is nothing but a pursuit of the nature of humanity.
The academic purpose of the department from Sophia University is to equip students with the fundamental knowledge of modern linguistics and an ability to analyze human language and the human mind scientifically. In accordance with this purpose, the department offers a comprehensive program ,which includes basic theory, application and practice. Close collaboration with the Master’s/Doctoral Program in Linguistics and Sophia Linguistic Institute for International Communication is one of the important features of the department.
Students will learn from the various courses the basic theory of modern linguistics, language teaching method, and practical interpretation and translation depending on their individual purposes. Through our curriculum, students are expected to obtain an ability to analyze themselves objectively, and to study human language and mind with logical and analytical thinking. The department aims to develop human resources with strong motivations for the significant investigations of mental and social activities of humans, backed up by the deep understanding of the scientific study of this remarkable human capacity.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The department offers a curriculum designed to help students gain practical proficiency in English necessary for global cross-cultural communication and develop expertise in a field of foreign studies of their choice.
- Our goal is to help students become citizens of the world who can communicate with the modern world and contribute to international society.
- To achieve this goal, the students will endeavor to enhance their English proficiency and pursue their specialty studies in one of the seven specialized fields including “English studies,” “American studies,” and “England and English-speaking countries.”
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants who have graduated, or are expected to graduate from a university in Japan before entering the Master’s program.
- Applicants who have completed, or are expected to complete, 16 years of formal education at a foreign educational institution before entering the Master’s program.
- )Applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent awarded by a foreign educational institution which requires at least three years of study for graduation.
- Applicants who have successfully completed a postsecondary course at a specialized training college designated by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) after the date designated by the Ministry, or are expected to do so. The course must have at least a 4-year study duration and meet the requirements specified by the Ministry.
- Applicants deemed eligible by MEXT.
International4142 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2071 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National4142 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2071 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.