You will explore teaching and learning contexts within and beyond the classroom, as you gain the leadership skills needed to enact change. This personalized approach will support you in your educational learning goals, whether you work in education or industry, community or public service. The part-time version of this program was designed especially for working professionals, and encourages you to chart your own course of study and follow it at your own pace.
Based in the School of Education,at the Educational Studies offered by Trent University, you will have the flexibility to pursue specific areas of interest and take some courses in other departments to broaden your experience. You will explore the significance of power, belonging, motivation, culture and more. Faculty members with expertise in a range of specialties will help you discover how you can apply your knowledge in your profession and in the community.
- Structure your studies around your existing professional commitments with evening classes and condensed summer course schedules.
- Benefit from an established record of strong partnerships with school boards and local community agencies and educational programs. Participate in colloquia and conferences.
- Prepare to design your own program, and to teach and engage with research that is meaningful to you.
Whether you work in education or industry, community or public service, it is vital to understand how teaching and learning operate. How do you build learning environments that encourage rigour, creativity and care? Have you considered how issues such as power, belonging, motivation, culture, and leadership a ect organizational and per- sonal experience? The Master of Education at Trent offers graduate students the opportunity to explore educational theory and research. We hope to guide you in gaining the critical insights needed for transformative practice.
The Master of Educational Studies is an ideal degree for careers such as teaching, educational administration, higher education, healthcare, environmental organizations, social work, business, psychology and community learning. Because the Master of Education can be utilized in a variety of settings, it is a valuable degree for today’s dynamic workforce.
Obtaining an M.Ed.:
- Enhance your career opportunities.
- Provide insights into effective education. An M.Ed. is a practical qualification that can be used in a variety of environments to provide insight into more effective educational techniques resulting in real improvements in education and job satisfaction.
- Prepare you for educational leadership. For example, within a school environment, obtaining a M.Ed. can lead to moving into a specialist position or leadership role, such as vice-principal or principal.
- Open different career paths. By specializing in a particular area of interest, such as Indigenous education or curriculum planning, new opportunities can open up.
- Enable you to pursue an area of interest to you. Choosing the thesis route will enable you to practice your research skills with the support of a supervisor and committee. It is excellent preparation for work-place research or study for a Ph.D.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Critical approaches to Educational Theory
- Introduction to Educational Research Methods
- Independent Research Course
- 24 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 18 other Masters in Teaching in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Honours degree (4 years)
- General degree (3 years) plus domestic B.Ed. also eligible to apply
- Minimum B+ (77%) or equivalent in the work of the last four semesters or the last two undergraduate years (last ten full credits)
- Appropriate previous education and training, plus feasible proposed course of study and research project
- Applications will also be considered in light of a range of other evidence that may, in some circumstances, mitigate a lower academic average
International21267 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21267 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National8929 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8929 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.