With an emphasis on skills development, interactive teaching, experiential learning and self awareness, you will become familiar with a wide range of counselling modalities, all taught within research-informed and ethical frameworks.
The two-year course includes clinical practice across varied settings, and you will undertake relevant project work and applied research units too, becoming equipped to work across a range of public, private and community sector organisations in areas such as health, individual and family support services, addiction counselling, youth work, grief, disability and mental health.
You will demonstrate competence in a range of counselling skills, including collaborative goal setting, empathy, reflective listening, assessment, change and clinical interventions. You will graduate as a professional counsellor, ready for employment across community agencies, government departments, public health settings or as a private practitioner.
Study a Master of Counselling at University of Canberra and you will:
- work holistically in a number of community settings with a diverse range of clients, respecting the importance of social and cultural contexts
- access the most recent and relevant academic conventions and materials
- develop skills in critical thinking, communication, problem solving and project management
- experience the experiential, collaborative and holistic approaches to learning, enabling you to develop in-depth practical knowledge and skills, self-awareness and reflexivity
- fulfil the requirements towards eligibility for professional counselling association membership.
- Youth worker
- Social worker
- Community educator
- Welfare worker
This course is designed as a professional qualification in counselling. Graduates of this course may apply for professional membership with organisations such as the Counselling and Psychotherapy Association for Canberra and Regions (CAPACAR), and for listing on the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) register as a counsellor and supervisor.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Planning
- Counselling Skills and Models
- Counselling Theories and Concepts
- Ethical Frameworks for Counselling
- Counselling Placement and Supervision
- Advanced Counselling Skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Psychology View 28 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in Australia
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants must have an undergraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline as approved by the University; demonstrate a minimum of two years relevant experience, paid or voluntary by submission of a CV including 2 referees; and attend a pre-admission interview at the University of Canberra.
- Students who have a Graduate Diploma in Community Counselling (UC) or who can demonstrate that they have completed equivalent counselling units at a postgraduate level in an accredited course, will be considered for academic credit for the required units (up to 24cp).
- Applicants must submit a letter of application detailing relevant experience and addressing the knowledge assumed necessary for enrolment.
CRICOS provider: 00212K
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
National24800 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24800 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Canberra
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.