This full-time, intensive course is intended for administrative and scientific workers and new graduates with an appropriate environmental science related background, although applications from graduates with different backgrounds are also welcomed. It comprises a series of taught modules encompassing a variety of current environmental themes, followed by a five-month, research project. There is also the possibility to opt for a diploma course in Environmental Sciences, consisting of the taught modules only.
The course provides students with a wide range of knowledge and skills relating to the expanding subject of Environmental Science. It aims to provide a firm scientific understanding of current environmental issues that will be of relevance to those interested in environmental management and related areas. The course provides a foundation of understanding of current environmental policies and legislation, and builds upon this with practical and theoretical courses that include subjects such as ocean and coastal management, water resources and pollution, climate change and environmental impact assessment. Theory and practice are closely linked to develop field, analytical, and presentation skills, including dedicated modules relating to data analysis and Geographic Information Systems. The course provides the opportunity to develop interests in particular areas of Environmental Science through tutorials, seminars and an extended desk study.
Following successful completion of the taught part of the course, students embark on a closely supervised research project intended to expand the skills and knowledge base acquired in earlier modules. Previous research projects have covered a diverse range of subjects including: groundwater contamination; atmospheric heavy metal deposition; environmental education; sewage processing systems; bio-indicators of marine pollution; and the impacts of erosion in African lakes, oean chemistry and climate change: and radon in natural and work environment.
Previous graduates of this M.Sc. course have been employed by a range of agencies involved in environmental protection, as environmental consultants and in local government. Many graduates have gone on to do further research in a range of environmentally related disciplines. Graduates from the course have pursued their interests in environmental sciences throughout the world.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Induction week and Introduction to environmental science
- Environmental and chemical analysis
- Hydrology and Groundwater quality
- Earth system science I: Deep time
- Earth system science II: Environmental and climate change
- Environmental policies
- Waste and Energy management in Urban Environments
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesEnvironmental Sciences View 16 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Ireland
Applications for admission are accepted from:
- holders of first or upper second class honors degrees, or their overseas equivalent, awarded by recognised universities, institutions and degree awarding bodies.
- holders of other degrees or relevant qualifications including professional qualifications, who have at least three years work experience in an environmental profession.
- Two academic references (or where appropriate clinical referees)
- Academic transcript(s) which must be certified by the issuing body
- Certified copy of degree certificate(s)
- A recognised certificate of English Language Competency
- Any other qualifications that may be required
International17139 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 17139 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7239 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7239 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.