It is clear that solutions to the challenge of sustainable development require holistic, integrated and co-ordinated actions across a very wide range of sectors, and will increasingly require a multidisciplinary approach. This programme aims to provide students with a broad grounding in the main concepts associated with sustainable development, but also provides the opportunity to specialise in one area in greater depth.
This Sustainable Development (Online) programme at SOAS University of London provides a theoretical basis for understanding the evolution, meanings and use of the concept of sustainable development and it will help you to gain practical research experience. You will also acquire the skills needed to understand current environmental, development and sustainability issues and debates.
The aims of the programme are:
- to provide students with the skills necessary to analyse and interpret current issues and debates related to sustainable development
- to enhance knowledge and understanding for decision- and policy-making on sustainable development issues
- to enhance students' critical, analytical, and integrative skills for responding to sustainable development challenges
- to provide research training and experience in relation to sustainable development.
Graduates of this programme will have a wide range of backgrounds and will typically find work in:
- government ministries and other public sector organisations concerned with policy analysis in the fields of sustainable development and environmental planning
- international organisations, such as UN agencies, concerned with the sustainability of economic change
- Non-governmental organisations NGOs
- private sector organisations concerned about the social and environmental impact of their operations
- consultancy organisations providing advice on issues of sustainability
- applied research and teaching in institutions of research and higher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Understanding Sustainable Development
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Energy and Development
- Food Security and Social Protection
- Global Environmental Change and Sustainability
- Low Carbon Development
- Understanding Poverty
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- PGDip 120
DisciplinesInternational Development Sustainable Development View 32 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
- A good first degree in an appropriate subject area, as accepted by the University of London, and a high level of English language ability in reading and writing and in study skills.
International4937 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9875 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4937 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9875 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- PgDip: £7,900 per full
- PgCert: £3,950 per full
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.