Our graduate programs provide a strong foundation in core theoretical areas (phonology, syntax, morphology, etc.) and build from there. Research expertise and supervision are offered in first and second language acquisition, speech disorders as well as acoustic and articulatory phonetics, from both theoretical and experimental perspectives.
Languages of specialization include aboriginal languages of eastern Canada (Algonquian, Inuktitut, Iroquoian), as well as local varieties of English and French and their British/European origins. The department is home to several unique research projects, which students are encouraged to consider joining.
The MA program in Linguistics at the Memorial University of Newfoundland has two available routes. The thesis route requires coursework and a thesis. The course route requires coursework and a research project. Either can be completed in two years.
- The Department of Linguistics at Memorial University of Newfoundland was founded in 1967. Since then, it has developed into a dynamic, research-oriented department.
- Our department prides itself on maintaining strong links between teaching and research, with emphasis on data-driven, theoretically informed inquiry into aboriginal languages, language variation and change, language acquisition and historical linguistics.
- We invest our students into the community of linguistic scholars through active engagement in primary research, supported by unique and extensive in-house data archives, broad library holdings and state-of-the-art labs and analytical tools.
- Strong relations with robust local speech communities enhance our research and our teaching.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Issues in Morphosyntax
- Selected Topics in Transformational Grammar
- Topics in the Syntax of a Selected Language
- Principles of Language Acquisition
- Selected Topics in Language Acquisition
- Phonological Theory
- Selected Topics in Phonology
- Selected Topics in Language and Gender
- Areal and Temporal Variations in Language
- General Romance Linguistics
- Comparative and Historical Linguistics
- Morphosyntactic Change (prerequisite: 6400)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application
- Official transcript(s) (must be submitted by post mail or courier)
- Two (2) letters of appraisal
- Non-refundable application fee
- Proof of English proficiency
- Additional requirements (may be required).
- Prerequisites may be necessary for your program of interest
International2148 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1074 CAD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National1652 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 826 CAD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
- National: $826-$1,239/semester
- International: $1,074-$1,611/semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.