The MA program in Communication and New Media at McMaster University offers the opportunity for students to gain experience in independent communication studies research and/or multimedia art and design at the graduate level, while developing advanced knowledge in communication theories and methodologies, and cultivating their interest in one or more subspecialties in this interdisciplinary program (such as media studies, discourse analysis, performance studies, audio and video art, audience studies, computer-mediated methodologies).
Areas of Research
- Digital media & code art
- Communications law and policy
- Copyright history
- Diasporic and international media
- Critical approaches to race, ethnicity, gender, and sexuality
- Television and radio studies
- Political economy
- Networked creativity
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Communication Research Methods
- New Media Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMedia Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication View 32 other Masters in Digital Communication in Canada
- Honours Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- B+ (B- for Engineering) minimum average, based on a full year equivalent of final year courses (3rd/4th level) relevant to the program
- Each program may set additional/higher requirements. Please review the program website for details.
- Degrees and grades from foreign universities are evaluated for their equivalency to McMaster’s. Please contact the program for specific details.
- Departments or programs may establish additional requirements, such as scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Admission is competitive: meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission
- The admission decision is not subject to appeal
- Applicants who do not meet the above mentioned requirements, should consult the Graduate Calendar to determine the requirements for exceptional cases
International11396 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5698 CAD per semester during 12 months.
National4204 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2102 CAD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.