The Cognitive Science of Language program at McMaster University has a strong research orientation with expertise in cognitive science, corpus linguistics, neurolinguistics, psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, and theoretical linguistics. The program introduces students to the issues in those fields that form the nexus of, linguistics, cognitive science and cognitive neuroscience, and trains them in the research methods employed to study them. These skills are brought together in a thesis.
Areas of Research
- Cognitive psychology of language
- Corpus linguistics
- Theoretical linguistics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Fundamentals of the Cognitive Neuroscience of Language and
- Contemporary Issues in the Cognitive Neuroscience of Language
- Language Analysis Methods: Phonology and Morphology or
- Language Analysis Methods: Syntax and Semantics
- The Cognitive Science of Language Master’s Lecture Series
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCognitive Sciences Linguistics View 19 other Masters in Cognitive Sciences in Canada
- Honours Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- B+ (B- for Engineering) minimum average, based on a full year equivalent of final year courses (3rd/4th level) relevant to the program
- Each program may set additional/higher requirements. Please review the program website for details.
- Degrees and grades from foreign universities are evaluated for their equivalency to McMaster’s. Please contact the program for specific details.
- Departments or programs may establish additional requirements, such as scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Admission is competitive: meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission
- The admission decision is not subject to appeal
- Applicants who do not meet the above mentioned requirements, should consult the Graduate Calendar to determine the requirements for exceptional cases
International11396 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5698 CAD per semester during 24 months.
National4204 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2102 CAD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Hamilton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.