The student MUST choose at least one major among the two proposed in chemistry and materials.
He/she is further ALLOWED to choose a major among the two proposed in Business management and creation.
Normally, professional focus courses are taken during the first annual unit and the graduation project during the last one. However, students may (depending on their project) take these courses in the 1st or 2nd annual unit as long as they have completed the course prerequisites. This is particularly the case for students who complete part of their education abroad (ERASMUS or MERCATOR exchange, FAME dual degree). The Master in Chemical and Materials Engineering programme is offered at Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL).
The master offers:
• a specialised training in an international environment; from 2015-2016, all courses organized by the programme commission (i.e. courses with LMAPR2xxx designation ) are taught in English ; assistance provided as needed to French-speaking students (“French-friendly” approach).
• an interdisciplinary approach to problem solving, rooted in physics and chemistry;
• research-based training : integration of students in experimental laboratories, research projects ;
• exposure to industry : factory visits, industry internships, graduation project in a company ;
• the possibility to obtain a dual degree if you are accepted in the Master’s degree programme “Functionalised Advanced Materials & Engineering” (FAME), part of the Erasmus Mundus programme. It is entirely in English and starts with a year of general training either at the National Polytechnic Institute of Grenoble (France) or at the University of Augsburg (Germany); in the second year, students specialise in a field of materials sciences at one of 7 partner universities. UCL offers a specialisation in materials and nano-structures engineering. Upon completing the programme, students are granted a dual Master’s degree.
Your future job
Jobs in chemical and materials engineering range from research and development to production and marketing.You can become :• A « systems » engineer :Who designs new products or devices with specific properties or functions, e.g. a mitral valve, an electroluminescent polymer for a flexible display, a metallic alloy or a light composite for aerospace applications, a nanomaterial usable for memory storage.
• A « process » engineer :Who develops new production processes or manages the operation of production units, e.g. a plastics extrusion line, a factory for the extraction of a pharmaceutical compounds from a given plant l, a water or waste treatment plant, a production line for electronic components, a production unit for a high purity chemical compound, etc.
• A combination of both :For instance, you develop a polymer material for the automotive industry and the synthesis/compounding process required for its industrial scale up.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Fluid-fluid separations
- Sustainable treatment of industrial and domestic waste: Fundamentals
- Reactor Design
- Physics of Functional Materials
- Deformation and fracture of materials
- Molecules and materials analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering View 9 other Masters in Chemical Engineering in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A student with no major in applied chemistry and physics from UCL, nor any option deemed equivalent, shall submit an application to the Faculty of applied sciences, including a detailed past curriculum (courses and grades by year).
- Engineering Bachelors are exempted from this procedure, if they have a minor in applied chemistry and physics from UCL, or an option deemed equivalent.
- The Faculty, after consulting the Applied chemistry and physics diploma committee, will decide as to the applicant’s admissibility, pursuant to rules relative to links between degrees.
- Moreover, the Faculty can propose a customized curriculum, by drawing on the volume of elective courses of the KIMA curriculum and, if necessary, up to 15 additional credits.
- For some students (e.g. bachelors in industrial engineering), the Faculty might require an additional year of studies prior to the Master’s, corresponding to 60 credits of the major in applied chemistry and physics.
International4175 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4175 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA835 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 835 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Louvain-la-Neuve
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.