It may be production animals in agriculture, companion animals, horses or experimental animals.
In the Animal Science programme at the University of Copenhagen, you will learn about and may specialise in everything within the field of animal sciences – from sustainability to nutrition, breeding, genetics, animal behaviour and production management.
During the training you will be challenged to analyse problems and develop sustainable solutions from a holistic perspective that pays regard to people, animals and the environment.
As a Master in animal sciences, you are helping to shape the sustainable livestock production of the future. For example, you can work on food safety, production optimisation or development of sustainable fodder.
Profile and Career
The programme aims to educate entrepreneurs and leaders to be in charge of and develop sustainable and innovative solutions for the future and within all sectors that have to do with the sustainable production, use, management, breeding etc. of healthy animals in healthy herds.
You will be able to create your own personal academic profile by specializing in e.g. animal production, genetics and breeding, animals used for sport purposes, leisure, and animals we study to improve our understanding of human biology and diseases.
The programme considers how animal enterprises can become economically sustainable and how to feed, breed and house animals without compromising animal welfare or the surrounding environment, and how new technologies and big data processing can be used to optimize production, breeding and management of livestock.
The various possibilities for specialisations open up for a growing number of jobs within many different sectors, such as:
- The Agricultural Advisory Service, consulting engineering firms, the financial sector or international development organisations
- Development or sales jobs in the industry and production sector
- Industry associations or professional organisations with relations to feeding, breeding, management of animals and animal production
- Strategic advising and/or management of experimental animal businesses
- Public management (municipalities, regions, ministries and governmental bodies in Denmark, the EU and internationally)
- Research and education in private companies, governmental research institutions and universities
- Teaching at agricultural colleges, technical colleges or in other kind of course activities
- Starting your own business
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Animals and Sustainability
- Livestock and Equine Production Science
- Advanced Livestock and Equine Production Science
- Experimental Animal Nutrition and Physiology
- Nutrition and Management of Companion and Exotic Animals
- Advanced Quantitative Methods in Herd Management
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesAnimal Sciences Aquaculture & Fisheries Genetics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission to the master’s degree programme in Animal Science requires as a minimum successful completion of a qualifying and recognised university degree equivalent in level and content to a Danish bachelor’s degree.
- If you have completed a bachelor’s degree or are enrolled in the final semester of a bachelor’s programme you are eligible to apply for admission to the master’s degree programme in Animal Science.
International16808 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8404 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- DKK 62,500 paid in 4 rates (one each semester) throughout the two-year programme (for international students)
Living costs for Copenhagen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.