For MPhil and PhD study, you usually register for research by written thesis (although there are also possibilities for research based on a written element and studio practice).
Whatever your topic, you have your first supervisor in Art Psychotherapy and may have your second in another department – Art, Educational Studies, Psychology, or Sociology, for example.You meet your supervisors regularly for discussion and guidance, and present your work to the Art Psychotherapy research student group.You also attend the Goldsmiths Research Methods Training Course.Supervision is currently available in the following areas:
- art therapists and their art
- cross-cultural issues
- evidence-based practices
- group work
- history and development of the professions in the UK and internationally
- occupational choice, career development and role change of arts therapists and arts therapy trainees
- clinical work with various client populations
More informationVisit official programme website
Current research topics include:
- key issues in art psychotherapy with the blind
- the creative experience inside and outside an art psychotherapy group
- the image as an assessment tool with children who have an autistic spectrum disorder
- thinking about art with adults who have learning disabilities
- art therapists’ working environments
- 36 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply early to avoid disappointment
DisciplinesVisual Arts Psychology Counselling View 382 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- You should normally have (or expect to be awarded) a taught Masters in Art Therapy/Art Psychotherapy.
- You might also be considered for some programmes if you aren’t a graduate or your degree is in an unrelated field, but have relevant experience and can show that you have the ability to work at postgraduate level.
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18900 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA4407 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4407 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
- Home/EU: £2203.50
- International: £9450
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.