The Master program in Geography at the University of Bern consists of 120 ECTS credits. These credits can be earned with a broad range of courses in all fields of geography, whereby students expand their theoretical and methodological knowledge (preferably in the first semester) through coursework for a total of 60 ECTS credits. The Master in Geography at the University of Bern is a "Research Master," which means the master thesis plays a very important role. The thesis therefore accounts for 60 ECTS credits and is written over a period not exceeding 18 months.
This master thesis is embedded in the research activities carried out in individual research units. In other words, students select a topic from one of the research units and also choose an advisor who specializes in the chosen topic. The master thesis supplements the broad-based knowledge gained through coursework by allowing students to specialize in an area of fundamental or applied research of their choice. Field work can be carried out in Switzerland or abroad. We recommend that students choose an interesting topic for their master thesis when they begin their Master program. This ensures they will have enough time to write the thesis and attend those courses that support their work on the topic.
Most graduates of the Master program end up working in the following areas:
- Spatial analysis, spatial planning and consulting (e.g. location analyses, policy consulting, analysis of natural dangers), nature conservation and environmental protection, local, regional and nationwide planning; federal, cantonal and municipal agencies, private engineering bureaus etc.
- Professional training; teaching at secondary schools, teaching and research at universities
- Information and documentation: Geoinformatics, media, public relations
- Development projects: Tourism, regional development, resource utilization (positions in Switzerland and/or in developing countries)
- The Master program in Geography can be completed as a single-subject (mono) Master with 120 ECTS credits, or with a major (90 ECTS credits) and a minor (30 ECTS credits).
- Any subject taught in a sufficient scope at the University of Bern can be chosen as a minor for the major of 90 ECTS credits. However, students are not permitted to have a major and minor in the same branch of study.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
You can only apply after the regular closing date for applications if you do not require a visa for entering and residing in Switzerland. If you are applying late and require a visa for Switzerland, we will transfer your application to a later semester.
DisciplinesGeography View 10 other Masters in Geography in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in Geography from a Swiss university
- Bachelor's degree from a recognized university, provided at least 60 ECTS credits were earned in Geography and that the master's degree can be successfully completed with an additional maximum of 60 ECTS credits (admission requirements which must be fulfilled in order to complete the master's degree program). The ECTS credits will be listed separately in the diploma supplement as extracurricular attainments.
International1740 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 870 EUR per semester during 24 months.
National1380 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 690 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- Regular tuition fee: CHF 750 per semester
- Non-Swiss students: CHF 200 per semester, in addition to the regular tuition fee, if they did not have their civil law residence in Switzerland or the Principality of Liechtenstein at the time of obtaining their university entrance qualification to a bachelor's degree.
Living costs for Bern
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.