Your smartphone is probably the most well-known example of an advanced embedded system; a handheld low-power device that carries out signal processing at the same time as it is able to entertain its user with computer games, internet sessions, and streaming audio/video. What makes a system embedded is that system functionality must be implemented in hardware and software within very challenging constraints, such as performance, power consumption, real-time demands, reliability, and size.
The Embedded Electronics System Design from Chalmers University of Technology graduates will gain knowledge and skills in a variety of areas, such as integrated circuit technology, computer design, industrial design methodologies and industrial design software suites. Programme graduates will be qualified to work as productive engineers in industrial teams designing state-of-the-art embedded products or intellectual property, or to undertake graduate studies leading to a doctorate in the field of electronic system design.
The opportunities for students graduating from this programme are excellent given the trend of embedded system permeating all aspects of life. Our graduates find jobs in Swedish companies like Volvo, Ericsson, Saab Electronic Defence Systems, Cobham Gaisler, or in international companies such as RUAG, Atmel, ARM, Nordic Semiconductors, Texas Instruments, NXP, or they work as consultants.
Around one fifth of our graduates continue in research schools, earning their PhDs in the general area of embedded electronic system design. Several of our students take part in research projects, both at Chalmers and in companies. Different grants allow our students to travel to conferences: Since the start of the programme, we have had around 20 scientific papers published by students from the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Electronic system design
- Methods for electronic system design
- Integrated circuit design
- Embedded electronic system design project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Design Electronics & Embedded Technology View 45 other Masters in Design in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree with a Digital Design profile and a major in: Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering, Automation and Mechatronics Engineering, Engineering Physics or the equivalent
- Prerequisites: Mathematics (at least 30cr. including Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential Equations and Transform Theory), Electronic and Computer Fundamentals (including Electric Circuit Theory, Electronics, Digital Fundamentals, Digital System Design using VHDL/Verilog, Computer Organization), Programming and Signals and Systems (including Control and Filter Fundamentals)
- Preferable course experience: Electrical Measurements, Semiconductor Devices and Machine-Oriented Programming with C
International13816 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6908 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- 70.000 SEK
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.