We have a stellar record of placing our doctoral students in academic appointments, prestigious post-doctoral fellowships and senior government positions in Canada and abroad. MA and PhD graduates have also excelled in careers in government, media and private business. Many of our PhD students complete their degrees before their fifth year, and publish their theses as highly-regarded books.
About the program
History students are taught primarily in small all-graduate seminars, in which they engage in a lively, critical examination of historical writing, and delve into research in primary sources. MA and PhD students join an energetic young academic community: they participate in the departmental seminar series and biannually host the McGill-Queen's Graduate History conference that draws students from across Canada and the US. We are a mid-sized university and department, and we are therefore able to create for our students a rich, supportive learning community.
Queen's University History Department offers funding for MA and Ph.D. students through a combination of internal and external awards and teaching assistantships and fellowships. We guarantee our doctoral students an annual minimum of $18,000 for four years. This is a guaranteed minimum, and in practice our students most often receive substantially more than this, depending on external and internal competitions.
Officially accredited/recognized by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, Ontario, Queen's University (QU) is a large (enrollment range: 20,000-24,999 students) coeducational higher education institution. Queen's University (QU) offers courses and programs leading to officialy recognized higher education degrees such as bachelor degrees, master degrees, doctorate degrees in several areas of study. This 175 years old HE institution has a selective admission policy based on students' past academic record and grades.The admission rate range is 80-90% making this Canadian higher education organization a least selective institution. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment. QU also provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students including a library, housing, sport facilities and/or activities, financial aids and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Canada at War
- Approaches to History
- Selected Topics in History: Martyrs, Mystics, and Messiahs in Jewish and Muslim Religious Cultures
- Topics in Irish History 1798 to the Present
- Capitalism: A Historical View
- 20th-century Canadian History
- Race and Gender in Modern U.S. History
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 76 other Masters in History in Canada
- A complete application must include official, up-to-date transcripts for all current and previous study the applicant has listed in the Academic Background section of the application.
- Transcripts in languages other than English or French must be accompanied by an English or French translation provided by the institution issuing the transcript.
- For applicants to research programs, two current academic recommendations are required from professors under whom the applicant has recently studied.
- Two Professional letters of recommendation can be submitted in support of applications to professional graduate programs.
- Proficiency in English is a prerequisite for admission
International12927 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12927 CAD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National5773 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5773 CAD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.