- The program is designed to be completed in 18-24 months.
- Students take one year of courses, and spend the next year researching and writing.
- Students can opt for the traditional thesis or carry out artistic and/or community-based research-creation that can presented in a variety of media formats.
- All students receive a minimum funding guarantee of $15,000 per year for two years.
- Students can pursue a hands-on practicum course as a part of their degree path.
- Graduates of the program typically go on to careers in marketing, journalism, not-for- profits or NGOs, government and policy positions, cultural institutions, or pursue additional academic degrees.
The main strength of the Cultural Studies MA program from Queen's University is that students typically work with a committee of two faculty from different departments. This allows students to be guided towards theorizing specific fields and areas from multiple perspectives, rather than being trained in a single disciplinary perspective. The program's fundamental guiding principle is that the benefits of this multidisciplinary approach outweigh the disadvantages when it comes to grappling with complex, culturally-embedded forms, objects and processes.
We welcome applications from students who are working on any field that can be supported from within the cultural studies framework. You may also wish to consult our list of research areas that we are currently focussing on. Please email the program director for further information.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Cultural Studies Colloquium
- Cultural Studies Historiography
- Community-Based Research
- Cultural Studies Theory
- Critical Methodologies in Cultural Studies
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies History View 11 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Academic average of at least a B+ when applying for a Master's degree
Academic average of at least an A when applying for a Doctoral degree
A complete application must include official, up-to-date transcripts for all current and previous study the applicant has listed in the Academic Background section of the application
Two letters of recommendation
A list of current courses will be requested during the online application process
- A Statement of Interest outlining your research interests, why you consider the Cultural Studies a good fit for your research
- An academic writing sample, preferably a short research essay (approximately 10 pages, in PDF format)
- A Curriculum Vitae
International12927 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12927 CAD per year and a duration of 18 months.
National5773 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5773 CAD per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.