The Master's programme in Microbiology focuses on the functioning of micro-organisms and their potential for improving our health and environment. The programme incorporates these two areas as well as focusing on cell structures, and interactions. Students in this programme can choose from a number of specialisations based on their interests.
The research of the Microbiology department at Radboud University has been bestowed with the most prestigious science prizes, including three ERC Advanced Grants, a Spinoza Prize, and two Gravitation Grants. You will be able to work with state-of-the-art bio-reactors, electron microscopy and mass spectroscopy equipment, and facilities for molecular methods alongside world-class researchers.
Students also have the opportunity for internships at multiple related research institutes, such as the department of Ecological Microbiology, the department of pediatrics (Radboudumc), the department of Internal Medicine (Radboudumc) and the department of Medical Microbiology (Radboudumc).
Would you like to know if you are eligible to be admitted to this programme? Take our E-Check and instantly get an insight in your eligibility: echeck.ru.nl
What will you learn?
Learn about microbiology from a number of different perspectives, including environmental and medical microbiology
Choose from a variety of specialisations based on the topics you are passionate about
- Get hands on experience designing, conducting and presenting research
Graduates from this programme have a variety of job opportunities:
- Researcher at a university or research institute
- Researcher in a company, either a large or a start-up company
- Researcher at a governmental research institute
- Consultant at a governmental agency, like a ministry
- Consultant at a consulting firm
- Risk analyst
- Policy officer at a governmental organisation or an NGO
- Project coordinator in water or ecosystem management
- Communications officer at an environmental organisation
- Teacher in biology (College or secondary education level)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction and Orientation in Microbiology
- Microbial Physiology & Metabolism
- Environmental Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Microbial Cell Structure & Function
- Host-microbe Interactions
- Medical Microbiology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Deadline passed, International
Radboud University will still consider EU/EEA applications until 1 July, but may not be able to offer assistance with accommodation.
DisciplinesBiology Microbiology Molecular Sciences View 34 other Masters in Molecular Sciences in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A completed Bachelor's degree in Biology, Medical Biology, Molecular Life Sciences, Microbial Biochemistry or related area All students must have passed preliminary examinations in the following subjects, containing the subject matter of the following well-known international textbooks (or equivalent literature):
- Experimental skills: 12 EC of practical courses or an experimental Bachelor’s thesis on Microbial Physiology, Microbial Ecology, or Microbial Genetics or Biochemistry
- General microbiology: 6 EC
- Biochemistry: 3 EC
- Molecular Biology: 3 EC
- Chemistry: 3 EC
- Mathematics, statistics or physics: 3 EC
- Basic understanding of the following subjects is required:- Metagenomics or genomics- Bioinformatics- Immunology
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak which has led to the temporary closure of test centres, Radboud University currently also accepts the iBT TOEFL Special Home Edition. For all other questions regarding the coronavirus please visit our FAQ.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- Radboud Scholarship Programme
- The Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme
- Holland Scholarship Programme
- Fulbright-Radboud Scholarships
- StuNed scholarship programme
- Radboud University Medical Center Study Fund
- Radboud Faculty of Arts Study Fund
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.