You will examine the roles that food classification, production, distribution, exchange, cooking and eating play in social organisation, differentiation, religious practice and cultural identity and in mediating our relationships with non-human beings and surroundings. You will also explore the transregional and transnational movements of foods and culinary practices and the role of food in human migrations, as well as the formation of regional and national cuisines.
As a student on the Anthropology of Food programme from SOAS University of London , you will study the passage of food from plant to palate, and examine who benefits, and who suffers, from contemporary modes of food production, exchange, preparation and consumption. You will address debates on the impact of contemporary food systems on food safety, dietary health, agrarian livelihoods and environmental sustainability and examine concerns over the alleged demise of family meals, traditional food knowledge and cooking skills.
Why study MA Anthropology of Food at SOAS?
- SOAS is ranked 5th in the UK for Anthropology and 16th in the world in the 2021 QS World University Rankings
- draw on the exceptional regional expertise of our academics in Asian, African, and Middle Eastern languages and politics, many of whom have joined us with a practical working knowledge of their disciplines
- thriving community of alumni and academics who have an impact on the world outside of academia
- flexibly structure your programme using our optional modules and/or optional modules from other departments, including the opportunity to learn a regional language
- we are specialists in the delivery of languages; your command of a second language at SOAS will set you apart from graduates of other universities.
The MA Anthropology of Food programme has a first-rate employability record. SOAS graduates move on to find employment in various fields:
- food-related government ministries
- international organisations
- development agencies
- media agencies
- non-governmental associations
- food, hospitality and tourism industries
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Ethnographic Research Methods
- Theoretical Approaches to Social Anthropology
- Anthropology of Food: Politics, Place and Mobility
- Anthropology of Food: Diet, Society and Environment
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Contemporary World: Cultures of Resistance and the Dissolution of Boundaries
- African and Asian Diasporas in the Contemporary World: Migration, Space, Identities
- Anthropology of Sustainability: Global Challenges and Alternative Futures
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Nutrition & Dietetics Food Sciences View 108 other Masters in Food Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11520 GBP per year during 12 months.
PT fees (2 years):
- UK - 5,760 GBP per year
- Overseas - 11,520 GBP per year
- UK - 3,840 GBP per year
- Overseas - 7,500 GBP per year
PT fees (4 years):
- UK - 5,760 GBP per year
- Overseas - 11,250 GBP per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.