The LLM Islamic Law at SOAS University of London may be completed either through one year of full-time study or two, three or four years of part-time study. All students apply to the general LLM programme, but have the option of pursuing a specialised LLM.
All SOAS modules are designed not only to introduce students to the general fields of law, but also to provide an understanding of how generic legal structures and processes may operate in non-Western social and cultural settings. All teachers on modules offered at SOAS are experts in their designated field.
Many have years of experience advising governments, international organisations or non-governmental organisation, and many also have been or continue to be legal practitioners in their specialised fields.
The programme provides required expertise for anyone interested in pursuing a career in Islamic law or in law-related careers focused on Muslim majority countries or contexts. This expertise is much sought after in law, finance and media, international organisations and government.
Many students in the SOAS School of Law take at least one of the modules in this programme because of the way in which the substance of core modules engages with critical areas of law that are increasingly a focus of practitioners and policy makers. The LLM in Islamic Law offers a unique insight into the richness of the subject matter that will compel your attention to the complexities of historical and current interpretations, usages and repertoires of this most exciting set of laws, legal systems and legal processes.
Subject-based Practical Skills
The programme will help students develop the ability to:
- Write clear research essays and dissertations.
- Research in a variety of specialised research libraries and institutes and online, and retrieve, sift and select information from a variety of sources.
- Present seminar papers and defend the arguments therein.
- Discuss ideas introduced during seminars.
- Develop essay and dissertation research questions.
- Read legal source materials rapidly and critically.
- Present legal arguments in moots and debates.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Human Rights and Islamic Law
- Islamic Law in Global Financial Markets
- Gender, Law and Society in The Middle East and North Africa
- Palestine, Resistance, and the Law
- Business and Human Rights in the Global Economy
- International laws on the use of force
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
a dissertation (60 credits) and 120 credits of taught modules
DisciplinesInternational Law Master of Laws (LLM) Islamic Studies View 353 other Masters in Master of Laws (LLM) in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- If an applicant does not have a bachelors degree in an appropriate field s/he may be required to complete a qualifying year or a one year diploma before entering the masters programme.
- Relevant work experience may also be taken into consideration. Individual courses may have specific entry requirements, so you are advised to consult the postgraduate prospectus for further information.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International23680 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23680 GBP per year during 12 months.
National16400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16400 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK: £8,200/year
- Overseas: £11,840/year
Part Time 3 Years:
- UK: £5,460/year
- Overseas: £7,890/year
Part Time 4 Years (LLM only):
- UK: £4,100/year
- Overseas: £5,640/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
SOAS Master's Scholarships
International Postgraduate Scholarship – The Americas 2020-21
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Pakistan
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Middle East and North Africa
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Japan and South Korea
International Postgraduate Scholarship – India
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Europe
International Postgraduate Scholarship – East Asia
International Postgraduate Scholarship - Sub-Saharan Africa
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.