The LLM (Master of Laws) from SOAS University of London gives students the opportunity to study at our vibrant School of Law with its unique focus on the legal systems and legal challenges of the Global South generally and Asia, Africa and the Middle East in particular.In addition, students may be able undertake modules outside of the School of Law, opening up SOAS’ array of world-leading options in languages, cultures, arts, humanities, politics, economics and finance, and beyond.
Students complete the LLM by undertaking a dissertation, developing an extended research project on a topic of their choice. The LLM may be taken full-time over a period of one year, or part-time over a period of two, three or four years.
Our LLM (Master of Laws) teaching reflects our research strengths in the laws of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, and in Islamic, international, human rights, commercial and trade, comparative, and environmental law. All teachers on modules offered at SOAS are experts in their designated field, and many have years of experience advising governments, international and non-governmental organisations, or in professional practise. Undertaking the LLM at SOAS brings you into the heart of a world-leading, one-of-a-kind law school to study the world’s most pressing legal issues.
The LLM (Master of Laws) programme is ideal for LLB graduates or legal professionals who wish to expand their knowledge of, and critical engagement with, law, particularly as it relates to the Global South. You will join an international alumni of graduates from the LLM at SOAS, many of whom are now working at the UN, in NGOs, in government, in private practice, in policy work or in academia.
Since the LLM may be taken full-time or part-time, many students have been able to successfully combine their studies at SOAS with their existing careers. Our LLM alumni include John Atta Mills (former President of Ghana); David Lammy MP; Sylvester Umaru Onu (Associate Justice, Nigerian Supreme Court); and Francis K. Butagira (Ugandan Ambassador to Germany).
Please note that the LLM is restricted to applicants who hold an LLB.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Gender, Sexuality and Law: Selected Topics
- Gender, Sexuality and Law: Theories and Methodologies
- Human Rights and Islamic Law
- International Commercial Arbitration
- International Human Rights Clinic
- International Investment Law
- Law and Development in Africa
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Law Legal Studies Master of Laws (LLM) View 356 other Masters in Master of Laws (LLM) in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at SOAS University of London and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Please note that the LLM is restricted to applicants who hold an LLB.
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- If an applicant does not have a bachelors degree in an appropriate field s/he may be required to complete a qualifying year or a one year diploma before entering the masters programme.
- Relevant work experience may also be taken into consideration. Individual courses may have specific entry requirements, so you are advised to consult the postgraduate prospectus for further information.
International24650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24650 GBP per year during 12 months.
National17000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
SOAS Master's Scholarships
International Postgraduate Scholarship – The Americas 2020-21
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Pakistan
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Middle East and North Africa
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Japan and South Korea
International Postgraduate Scholarship – India
International Postgraduate Scholarship – Europe
International Postgraduate Scholarship – East Asia
International Postgraduate Scholarship - Sub-Saharan Africa
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.