The Master’s programme in Industrial Design Engineering at the Chalmers University of Technology is designed to meet these needs from industry for competencies with a holistic perspective on product development and to encompass a humanistic view on design, technology, the interplay between humans and technology and the increasing demands for environmental consideration.
The programme integrates theoretical studies in engineering, human factors and methodology with extensive project courses where the acquired knowledge is applied in practice. The projects are carried out in collaboration with companies outside Chalmers.
On a Master’s level the combination of technology, industrial design and human factors engineering is a unique combination. This makes the programme suitable for students who are interested in product identity and functionality from a user’s point of view.
As a result of assignments being given in collaboration with various companies, students are given the opportunity to further develop their skills in product design and development by presenting and reporting the results of their work, both orally and in writing in a professional manner for different target groups. During the course of group assignments and project work, students are given the opportunity to develop their collaboration and group work skills.
The field of technology, industrial design and human factors engineering also provides a variety of subjects suitable for research. The combination opens up opportunities for research on issues that are important for the user’s understanding of a product or a system, as well as needs, requirements and safety.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Industrial design engineering: theory and methodology, Written and oral assignments
- Ergonomics design for all, Written and oral assignments
- Visual brand identity and product design, Written and oral assignments
- Project management, Examination
- Cognitive ergonomics, Written and oral assignments
- Advanced form design, Written and oral assignments
- Computer aided industrial design (CAID), Written and oral assignments
- Digital sketching and graphical presentations, Written and oral assignments
- Design for experience, Written and oral assignments
- Business marketing and purchasing, Written and oral assignments
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering Industrial Design View 27 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor´s degree (or the equivalent) with a Major in Industrial Design Engineering or Product Design Engineering,
- Prerequisites: Mathematics (at least 15 cr.), Mechanical engineering (at least 45 cr.), Industrial design (at least 45 cr.) (including Design and Development, Design methodology, Form theory), Human factors engineering (at least 7,5 cr.) (including Ergonomics and Human machine interaction),
- A project portfolio containing three examples of design projects focusing on technology, use/interaction and product expression,
- English Language Proficiency scores.
International14551 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14551 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- 140 000 SEK/ academic year;
Scholarships are a great source of funding for Master's students who are liable to pay tuition fees. Chalmers University of Technology offers numerous scholarship opportunities. Some of these are administered by the university itself and others by external institutions.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.