The Middle Eastern Studies (research) MA programme at Leiden University has a reputation for its breadth and depth of expertise that is unmatched in Europe. You can explore subjects that span virtually the entire Middle East both in time and geography.
The two-year research Master's allows you to freely combine subjects from seven specialisations: Turkish Studies; Arabic Studies; North African Studies; Persian Studies; Islam; Eastern Christianity; and Modern Middle East Studies. You can focus on a region such as the Arab world, North Africa or the Persian world, or on a discipline such as history, politics, literature or languages across a region. A key feature is our comparative approach to learning, which includes intra-Middle Eastern comparisons.
Additional courses develop your academic skills to an advanced level. You also have the opportunity to conduct field research in the Middle East or study courses at another top university.
- Freelance writer/translator/project coordinator at a translation centre
- Lecturer at a Dutch university
- Translator and executive secretary at an embassy in the Netherlands
- Policy officer for education and funding at a national student union
- PhD candidate at a university in Spain
- PhD candidate at Leiden University
- Policy officer for Sahel region at a ministry
- Production assistant at a Swedish museum
- Teacher of English/Islamic religion at an educational institute in Saudi Arabia
- Middle East representative at a shipping and forwarding company.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- From Inkwell to Internet: Text and Transmission in the Muslim World (ResMA)
- International Relations of the Middle East and Asia (ResMA)
- Literature and Politics in the Persian-speaking World (ResMA)
- Material Culture, Memory and Commemoration along the Silk Roads in Central Asia (ResMA)
- The Middle East in the International Political Economy (ResMa)
- Modern Muslim Qur’an Interpretation (ResMA)
- Oil, Water and Waste: Environmental Issues in the Middle East and North Africa (ResMA)
- Themes in Arabic Literature: Bandits and Outlaws, Fact and Fiction (ResMA)
- War, Peace and Mass Media: The Arab-Israeli Conflict in Public Sphere (ResMA)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Islamic Studies View 115 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree
- You should have knowledge of the fundamentals of Middle Eastern Studies and/or area studies, literary studies, linguistics, history and/or social sciences, that ideally, but not necessarily, includes knowledge and understanding of the regional languages.
International17716 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17716 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA1084 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1084 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Second Dutch master’s programme: €13,616 per year
Living costs for Leiden
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.