Focal area of teaching and research
The main goals of the MSc course in Infection Biology at the University of Basel are the following:
- To understand the phenomenon of infection and host-pathogen interaction from a molecular, immunological and cell-biological viewpoint.
- To understand different concepts and approaches in drug and vaccine discovery and development.
- To understand basic concepts in bioinformatics and acquire skills for computational data analyses.
- To have a good understanding of molecular, cellular and epidemiological methods for the analysis of host-pathogen interactions.
- To be able to plan and carry out laboratory experiments in order to address a scientific hypothesis, to analyze the results and to report them orally and in writing.
- To obtain an overview on the current research literature in areas of infectious diseases.
Holders of a Master of Science in Infection Biology usually work in academia or industry in laboratory-oriented projects in the fields of basic or applied research, in the teaching/training or communication/documentation sectors or as scientific writers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Master of Science degree is a postgraduate degree that requires a successfully completed Bachelor’s program. The Specialized Master’s degree program Infection Biology awards 90 ECTS credits and is a so called mono-course consisting of only one core subject. Supervised practical work over the course of one year constitutes the core of the studies. One ECTS credit point roughly equals 30 hours of studying.
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Public Health Molecular Sciences View 5 other Masters in Public Health in Switzerland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- The admission to the master’s degree program follows a motion presented by the examination commission of the faculty, in which it recommends to the rectorate to either allow or deny the admission.
- In the event that a bachelor’s degree only partially fulfills the requirements listed in the master’s study regulations, the admission can be issued contingent on the student taking certain classes in the bachelor degree program.
International1596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 798 EUR per semester and a duration of 18 months.
EU/EEA1596 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 798 EUR per semester and a duration of 18 months.
- CHF 850 per semester
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.