The two-year master's programme in Archaeology (Research) at Leiden University is organised around the excellent research for which Leiden University has reached international renown. Students in this programme will choose a supervisor with whom they set up a personal study plan. The supervisor will be the student's personal coach throughout the research master's.
Supervisors are either Professors or Associate Professors and are specialised in a range of research topics.
The programme's courses aim to intensify and broaden the students' knowledge base and to develop research and publication skills. You are encouraged to visit conferences, contribute to workshops and to take courses outside the department.
Open up a world of opportunities with your master's degree in Archaeology from Leiden University!
Our graduates find employment as:
- field archaeologists
- PhD candidates at Leiden University or other universities
- policy advisors at governmental institutes or NGOs
- consultants with independent or commercial companies
- museum curators
- cultural resource managers (Heritage)
- university or secondary school teachers
- public relations officers
- project managers
- digital education officers at museums
- digital specialists
More informationVisit official programme website
- Advanced Archaeological Theory / Advanced Scientific Methodology
- Teaching assistance
- Conferences and workshops
- Research and thesis
- Advanced Themes in Archaeology
- RMA research seminar
- Modular course (from MA)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, National
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArchaeology View 10 other Masters in Archaeology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Additional information in letter of motivation
- Choose your supervisor
- Letters of recommendation
- Requirements for and how to submit letters of recommendation
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.