The only degree programme of its kind in Central Europe: In the English language master's programme Geotechnical and Hydraulic Engineering at Graz University of Technology (TU Graz), you profit from a combination of two disciplines - geotechnical engineering and hydraulic engineering. You learn in a practical manner, participating in practice sessions in the laboratory and on-site, and taking part in field trips. For example, you pilot hydraulic projects in Austria’s largest water laboratory.
They always draw on geological and general hydraulic conditions. Outstanding infrastructure, such as Austria’s biggest water laboratory for hydraulic model tests, facilitates practically oriented teaching and learning.
Areas of special focus:
- Designing, measuring, creating and monitoring foundations, supporting structures, natural and artificial slopes and banks, tunnels and underground structures, dams and hydro-electric power stations
- Quantifying soil, rock and hydraulic properties
- Material behaviour of geomaterials
- Disaster management and managing natural hazards.
Career OptionsGeotechnical and hydraulic engineers play an important part in the design, assessment, and construction of infrastructure. They are in great demand in the employment market and are known to play an important role in complex building projects.Graduates work nationally and internationally
- in engineering offices,
- at firms specialising in underground engineering,
- for developers,
- at universities, and
- for state property developers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Engineering Geological Investigation
- Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering
- Rock Mechanics and Tunnelling
- Hydraulic Engineering
- Finite Element Method
- Geotechnical Monitoring
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Geology View 3 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
According to the curriculum, graduates of the following bachelor’s programmes offered at TU Graz will be accepted without an admission procedure:
- Civil Engineering and Construction Management
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA798 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 399 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- 363.36 Euro in the general admission period
- 399.70 Euro in the additional admission period
- 726.72 Euro for non-EU foreign nationals
Living costs for Graz
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.