The Polymer Science programme from Humboldt University Berlin benefits from the close proximity of several other Berlin and Potsdam scientific centers such as the institutes of the Max Planck, Fraunhofer, and Helmholtz Societies, as well as the BESSY II synchrotron.
Polymer science is an interdisciplinary area comprised of chemical, physical, engineering, processing and theoretical aspects. It also has enormous impact on contemporary materials science. Its goal is to provide the basis for the creation and characterization of polymeric materials and an understanding for structure/property relationships. Polymer science is of increasing importance for everyone's daily life.
Many modern functional materials, gears, and devices have polymers as integral parts. Not surprisingly, roughly 30% of all scientists in the chemical industry work in the field of polymers. Despite its importance today and potential for future economic growth, there is no adequate university-level study program for polymer science in Germany.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Macromolecular Chemistry
- Advanced Macromolecular Chemistry
- Polymer Synthesis and Characterization Laboratory
- Polymer Characterization
- Introduction to Polymer Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering View 30 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Germany
- application form
- personal statement of intent (one page)
- 3 letters of recommendation
- verified copies of transcripts
- verified copies of qualifying degrees
- proof of English competency
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- There are NO tuition fees at Humboldt University Berlin. Neither for German and EU students, nor for international students from other countries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.