The Global History programme from Humboldt University Berlin helps students to understand the forces that have continuously shaped and restructured the world.
Unlike programs that treat global history as an extension of imperial or economic history, our approach emphasizes the entanglements between specific regions and global structures
The interconnectedness of today’s world is not a new phenomenon, but one that is tied to a long history of exchange and interaction. The history of migration and trade, of empires and nation-states, of religion and the environment, and of ideas, of communication and war have all contributed to linking different parts of the world, albeit unevenly.
Global history is one of the most innovative and productive fields of scholarly inquiry today, and challenges us to think about history and its methodologies in new ways. It acknowledges a broad variety of different perspectives and aims to arrive at a non-Eurocentric reading of the global past.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- War Stories. Myth, Memory and Trauma in the Twentieth Century
- Francophonie’ and ‘Lusofonia.’ (Post-) Imperialism, Culture, and Globalization
- Black Gold Coast: The Arabian/Persian Gulf in the Age of Oil
- Hajj: Islamic Pilgrimage in a Global History Perspective
- Revisiting Microhistory in the Age of Global History
- Discursive Construction of Nations within the Ottoman Modernization Process
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An above average undergraduate degree on par with a Bachelor in History, Area Studies, or a related field that includes equivalent historical or area studies topics (minimum of 60 credit points), which can be proven with a transcript of records. In all cases, at least 60 cp must be accredited from historical or area studies courses.
- The MA Global History is an English-language program. Therefore, applicants to the MA program who are non-native speakers must prove in their application that they have English skills at a C1 (GER) level.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- There are NO tuition fees at Humboldt University Berlin. Neither for German and EU students, nor for international students from other countries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.