In this scholarly and methodological context, the program of Native Studies at the University of Alberta emphasizes research strengths in the faculty:
- Critical Indigenous Theory,
- Indigenous Governance,
- Indigenous Peoples and Practices (with emphasis on the Prairies); &
- Indigenous Sexualities, Genders and Feminisms.
Length of Program
Full-time MA students will normally be expected to complete the program in two years. Part-time students may be considered for admission.
More informationVisit official programme website
Directed Readings in Native Studies
Directed Advanced Readings in Native Studies
Theoretical Perspectives in Native Studies
Practicum in Native Studies
Archival and Historical Research Methods
Social Survey Design and Analysis for Aboriginal Communities
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
If spots remain open after this initial deadline, we will accept applications until July 1.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 80 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a cumulative average of a minimum of 3.0 GPA (on a four point letter grading scale)
- A two page statement of your proposed area of research normally including an outline of discussions with your preferred supervisor and, if possible, potential committee members in the Faculty of Native Studies.
- An example of academic work appropriate to the application.
- Three letters of reference (preferably academic) with the Letter of Reference to Support Application for Graduate Admission Form.
International10500 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10500 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5575 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5575 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.