As a result, it offers a fresh, uncompartmentalized, and international approach to the subjects studied.
- Courses and study areas will not be confined to one national literature but will focus on intercultural and transcultural phenomena.
- The English Studies - Literature, Language, Culture program from Freie Universität Berlin will develop students’ awareness of historical context and the relationships of literature to other texts and media.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The course programme moves beyond the traditional disciplinary segregation within English Studies and seeks to interface Literary Studies, Linguistics and Cultural Studies, thus offering a fresh, uncompartmentalised and international approach to the subjects studied.
- Courses and study areas will not be confined to one national literature, but will focus on inter- and transcultural phenomena.
- The programme will develop students' awareness of the linguistic features of literary and non-literary texts as well as the historical and synchronic varieties of English. It also includes the study of historical contexts and intertextual as well as intermedial relationships. Particular emphasis will be laid on improving students' language skills in written and spoken academic English.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in English Philology or an equivalent degree with a minimum of 60 credit points in English Philology or a higher education degree in General and Comparative Literature, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Theater Studies, Dance Studies, or in another Philology with a minimum of 20 credit points in English literary and cultural studies.
- Proof of English language skills (level C1 CEFR) for applicants whose degree was not obtained at an institution/university where English is generally the language of instruction across all courses in all faculties (see MA-Handbook for details).
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Students do not pay any tuition fees, the university only charges semester fees and contributions each semester.
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.