The English Studies - Literature, Language, Culture offered by the Freie Universität Berlin moves beyond the traditional disciplinary segregation within English studies and seeks to combine literature, linguistics, and cultural studies of the English-speaking world except North America.
As a result, it offers a fresh, uncompartmentalized, and international approach to the subjects studied. Courses and study areas will not be confined to one national literature but will focus on intercultural and transcultural phenomena.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Interfacing Linguistics and Literature (offered in the winter semester)
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- Constructing Difference: Literary and Cultural Histories
- Literature and Media
- Negotiating Gender: Constructions, Representations, Theories
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 60 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in English Philology or an equivalent degree with a minimum of 60 credit points in English Philology or a higher education degree in General and Comparative Literature, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Theater Studies, Dance Studies, or in another Philology with a minimum of 20 credit points in English literary and cultural studies.
- Proof of English language skills (level C1 CEFR) for applicants whose degree was not obtained at an institution where English is the language of instruction.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Students do not pay any tuition fees, the university only charges semester fees and contributions each semester.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.