Slovakia offers temporary protection, residence, and additional support to refugees from Ukraine. According to data from UNHCR, more than 300,000 Ukrainians have crossed the country’s borders by April 2022, since the 24th of February.
Over 30 public and private institutions provide higher education in Slovakia. Combined, they offer around 100 English-taught study programmes and have attracted roughly 15,000 international students in 2021.
Below, you can check out some of the support programmes and initiatives for Ukrainian students:
Depending on your previous education and achievements, here are the Slovak institutions you need to contact to get your diplomas and certificates recognised:
- If you’ve completed primary or secondary school studies, contact the Regional Office of School Administration.
- If you’ve temporarily studied at a higher education institution without graduating, contact the Slovak university you’re interested in.
- If you’ve graduated with a higher education diploma, contact the Slovak university you’re interested in.
- If you’ve graduated with a higher education diploma in an academic field not offered in Slovakia, contact the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport.
Learn more about the higher education system in Slovakia.
Scholarships and financial aid
- University of Economics in Bratislava – has cancelled the payment for applying to the university, awards extraordinary scholarships worth up to 200 EUR, and offers free accommodation in dormitories in April and June.
- University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Košice – has cancelled the payment for applying to the university, awards extraordinary scholarships worth 200 EUR, offers free accommodation and meals, etc.
- University of Ss. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava – awards extraordinary scholarships and provides free accommodation in dormitories until the end of the summer semester in 2022.
- Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava – awards extraordinary scholarships worth 200 EUR, provides free accommodation in dormitories until the end of the summer semester in 2022, and plans to simplify the admission procedure in the future.
- Academy of Fine Arts and Design in Bratislava – has made the AFAD Solidarity Fund available to support Ukrainian students.
- Comenius University – awards grants worth 200 EUR.
- Technical University in Košice – provides free accommodation to Ukrainian citizens.
As a Ukrainian student, you can also apply for regular scholarships offered by academic institutions and governmental authorities.
Here, at Studyportals, we offer 2 scholarships to help people study abroad. Check out the application criteria and register before 31 May.
Study programmes and opportunities
- The University of Veterinary Medicine and Pharmacy in Košice allows Ukrainians to complete a preparatory course for the entrance examination without paying any fees.
- The Comenius University allows Ukrainian students to continue their studies under a mobility regime. This regime enables students to apply for any course, including full-time programmes.
- Ukrainian students can also find more affordable Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes, with tuition starting at 1,500 EUR per academic year. Several PhD courses start at 1,000 EUR per year.
Other support resources
- Some Slovak universities have come up with other initiatives, like psychological support, social help, dedicated student crisis lines or points of contact. The institutions providing these services include the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, the Technical University in Košice, the University of Economics in Bratislava, etc.
- The Migration Office has a dedicated page with helpful information for Ukrainian refugees. On it, you can learn more about entering and staying in Slovakia, accommodation and medical care, social benefits, etc.
- A similar support page is available on the official Study in Slovakia website. You’ll find details on how to start or continue your education, necessary documents, working during your studies, etc.
- The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports has created a website with additional information about schools and universities in Slovakia.
* Please note we give our best to constantly update the information posted here, but we may not be able to track all specific changes that may occur.