More than 350,000 people fleeing from the war in Ukraine have entered Hungary by the end of March 2022, according to UNCHR. Check the UN Refugee Agency in Hungary for further details about where to find help and information.
Below, you’ll find some of the support programmes and initiatives for displaced Ukrainian students:
- On this Hungarian Educational Authority webpage you can find out information about the recognition process of foreign qualifications in Hungary. More general information, here.
- Find general information about qualification recognition and education in Hungary on the country’s dedicated ENIC-NARIC page, the European networks in charge of informing people about academic and professional mobility, and on procedures for the recognition of foreign qualifications.
Scholarships and financial aid
- The Students at Risk Programme managed by the Tempus Public Foundation provides scholarships for students who started university in Ukraine, to earn a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree in Hungary.
- The Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) helps the students affected by the Ukrainian crisis with dormitory accommodation and scholarships. The institution offers help for people fleeing from Ukraine as well.
- A general list, linking to several scholarship programs available in Hungary is available on this Study in Hungary website section.
Study programmes and opportunities
- The “Bridge for Transcarpathia - Higher Education Infoline”, operated by the Tempus Public Foundation, can help teachers and students who want to continue their full or part-time study in Hungary or participate in a Hungarian teacher mobility program.
- The Central European University ‘Ukrainian Solidarity Initiatives’ page - a complex set of support provided to refugee students, starting from transferring, registering, applying for a degree, to emergency funds, fellowships, free accommodation and medical/psychological support.
- The University of Pécs has opened a registration platform for those who had to interrupt their studies in Ukraine due to the ongoing war. The refugee students will get an automatic application fee waiver, and the university is currently working on the most student-friendly tuition fee structure for the refugees, including housing.
- Debrecen University provides a list of English study programmes for Ukrainian or International students displaced by war.
- The Sammelweis University gives students, researchers, lecturers working in the field of medicine and health sciences, and those working in patient care, the opportunity to continue their work and studies in Hungarian, English or German.
- Corvinus University - Ukrainian refugees will be able to continue their studies at the Corvinus University. Furthermore, the institution will help these students by offering financial allocations, donations, and accommodation in the dormitories
Other types of support
- Eötvös Loránd University (ELTE) provides support to refugees coming from Ukraine and its students from across the border. This article contains the most important information related to the initiative and is updated constantly.
- Key information about the Education System in Hungary, on the Eurydice Hungary overview Page
- This European Commission information page offers key information about your rights with regard to crossing the border into an EU country, eligibility for temporary protection and applying for international protection, as well as the rights of travel inside the European Union.
* Please note we give our best to constantly update the information posted here, but we may not be able to track all specific changes that may occur.