After the war (1992-1995), with the call made by the late President Alija Izetbegovic to humanity for the reconstruction of the country, Turkish entrepreneurs and Bosnian scientists founded this teaching and research university to offer a peaceful and comfortable learning environment for students from a wide geography, in a multi-cultural, diverse, and inclusive international institution.
IUS has 18 undergraduate programs and 26 graduate programs in 5 faculties. Undergraduate students in their first year take university courses, and in the second year faculty courses, before moving on to the core courses in their 3rd and 4th years. This allows students to switch majors within their first 2 years. The programs conform to the Bologna process (240-credit, 4-year undergraduate, 60-credit, 1-year Master programs). The curricula contains many flexibilities with a generous amount of free electives, allowing further personalization.
Funded research efforts support the national and regional needs while providing theses opportunities to graduate students. Current funded research projects are inBiomedical Genomics and Personalized Medicine, Molecular Biomedicine (MBM)Plant Proteomics and Bioinformatics, The IUS Soft Computing Research Group – IUSSCRG, and Gender Equality. Additionally, Bosnia and Herzegovina Unit of the UNESCO Chair in Bioethics was officially established on July 1, 2015 at the International University of Sarajevo.
About 70% of IUS students are employed in BiH after graduation, while the other 30% continue with graduate school or move to other countries. In a geography where the official unemployment runs over %40, the 70% local employment is indicative of the quality of our graduates. First IUS graduates were in 2009. Since then, many graduates have established their own start-up companies, found jobs in both the government and private sectors, and won scholarships to prestigious graduate programs. Having experienced a multi-lingual, multi-cultural environment where staff come from over 22 countries and students from over 50, they were well equipped to cope with the demand and possessed soft skills in the 21st Century.
Our campus has the Mehmet Cakir Women’s Dormitory and the Plavi Leptir Mens’ Dormitory. Each has a capacity of 220 students. The fees are based on the room size and include breakfast. Extra services such as cleaning, washing and ironing, library and study halls are also available. Most students prefer on-campus accommodations in their earlier years, and later move closer to town, about 15 kilometers away from the campus.
IUS Library is located in Building B. Students have access through their student ID cards until 8 PM. In addition to the physical space, IUS offers free access to databases, on-line resources, and the on-line and physical BiH National Library resources for free with their IUS ID cards.
There is free wireless access everywhere on campus, as well as access to computers through 4 IT labs, The Econ Lab (with Statistics and Finance programs) and Library computers. All software are fully licensed. (IUS is the only BiH campus with a Microsoft Campus Agreement). All IT services are free of charge to students, faculty, and guests.
The IUS Infirmary is open between 8 AM and 5 PM with a nurse and a doctor on call 24 hours. In addition, there is a medic on call for dormitories. IUS has an agreement with a local clinic in Ilidza center, 2 kilometers from campus, for any medical needs not met on the premises.
Together with the ISIC Association and British Council IELTS, StudyPortals offers you the chance to receive up to £10000 to expand your horizon and study abroad. We want to ultimately encourage you to study abroad in order to experience and explore new countries, cultures and languages.