Traditionally all of our undergraduate schools, Schools of Medicine and Nursing are devoted to develop women's professions. Our graduate schools, faculties and hospitals are open to both genders.
The Medical Research Institute was opened in 1958 as a laboratory facility for researchers in the university. Currently it consists of a research section, a facility for common use, and a lab for nuclear radiation isotopes. Today, more than 950 university members use this facility and perform advanced research. The research results are published in the institute's research magazine Sougo Kenkyuujo Kiyou.
The Global Student Satisfaction Awards empower students across the globe to determine the best universities of 2019. By rating institutions on a scale from 1 to 5, on multiple studies-related questions, we found the top educators in the world.Learn more about the Global Student Satisfaction Awards
The main library is located at the Kawada-cho campus and serves as a information center for the students and the faculty staffs. The branch library in Medical Center East collects mainly materials of clinical medicine.
In 1908, the teaching hospital of the Tokyo Women's Medical School, a predecessor of Tokyo Women's Medical University, was founded. In 1930, a modern brick hospital which is still used as an office (Building No. 1) was built. From the 1950s to 1960s, many centers within the hospital mainly, the Heart Institute of Japan, the Institute of Gastroenterology, and the Neurological Institute were founded. Tokyo Women's Medical University Hospital is an advanced secondary and tertiary hospital with 1,379 beds. The hospital has a dedicated staff of 3,170, comprised of 940 doctors, 1,235 nurses, 995 others. The hospital has 9 medical centers and 13 clinical departments and is visited by 3,700 outpatients per day. A state-of-the-art outpatient center is the latest addition. The hospital, as it was a century ago, serves as a teaching hospital for undergraduates, residents, and students of continuing education.