The MPIK has been founded in 1958 under the leadership of Wolfgang Gentner. Its precursor was the Institute for Physics at the MPI for Medical Research led by Walther Bothe from 1934 to 1957. The initial scientific goals were basic research in nuclear physics and the application of nuclear-physics methods to questions concerning in the physics and chemistry of the cosmos.
The Max Planck Institute for Nuclear Physics (MPIK) conducts fundamental research (experimental and theoretical) in the fields of Astroparticle physics (synergies of particle physics and astrophysics) and Quantum dynamics (many-body dynamics of atoms and molecules).
We promote equal opportunities for men and women in various areas of our institute (technical infrastructure, administration and especially science) and at various career levels.
Our training workshops on precision mechanics and electronics provide highest level of technical training. We are glad to see regular participation of young women for job training at our institute. Thanks to the commitment of our Equal Opportunities Officers, who have their own gender equality budget, we have regular events on issues related with equal-opportunity at our institute. One event per year is aimed specifically at our female scientists.
The Global Student Satisfaction Awards empower students across the globe to determine the best universities of 2019. By rating institutions on a scale from 1 to 5, on multiple studies-related questions, we found the top educators in the world.Learn more about the Global Student Satisfaction Awards
Scientific service - library, information technology, public relations and media
Technical units - precision mechanics shops, engineering design office, electronics shops, building services
Safety - occupational safety, dangerous goods and waste, laser protection, radiation protection
The Institute’s large campus is situated 200 m above the city in the forest. The main buildings are the Walther Bothe and the Wolfgang Gentner Laboratories with labs and offices. In the centre of the campus, there is the library with a lecture hall for 200 persons and a seminar room suitable for small conferences. The experimental hall complex is the largest building on the campus, which is completed by the two workshop buildings as well as guest houses and several other buildings. Neighbour to the south is the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).