The students in the Arabic Studies programme from Freie Universität Berlin take an exemplary look at selected texts of classical and modern Arabic literature, as well as essential texts of Arabic-Islamic culture such as Qur’an, Hadith and Tafsir. Subjects of study are e.g. questions of genre and literary form as well as questions of symbolism, intertextuality and intermediality. Various research methods and working techniques from the area of literary and cultural studies are applied and practiced.
Why Study Here?
- Arab Studies at Freie Universität Berlin is involved in numerous ongoing research projects, including the Corpus Coranicum project at Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften as well as the collaborative research center Episteme in Motion.
- The Seminar for Semitic and Arabic Studies cooperates with other disciplines of Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and Universität Potsdam in the field of the modern Near East, with Zentrum Moderner Orient as well as the interdisciplinary centre “Bausteine zu einer Geselslchaftsgeschichte des Vorderen Orients” at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Furher co-operation exists with various liaison offices of Freie Universität Berlin, in particular in Cairo.
- Freie Universität Berlin furthermore offers a unique network of scientific and cultural institutions with reference to the Arabic-speaking world, e.g. the Museum of Islamic Art, the Oriental Department of Staatsbibliothek Preußischer Kulturbesitz (it offers the largest collection of Arabic manuscripts in Germany), Haus der Kulturen der Welt as well as Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies View 50 other Masters in Language Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- bachelor’s degree in history and culture of the Middle East from the Freie Universität Berlin or its equivalent from a program that is similar in terms of content and structure;
- proof of written Arabic language skills (level B1 CEFR);
- proof of language skills in one of the following languages: Ancient Greek, French, Hebrew, Italian, Latin, Modern Persian, Russian, Spanish, Syriac-Aramaic or Turkish (level B1 CEFR), or oral skills in a modern Arabic dialect (level C2 CEFR);
- proof of English language skills (level B2 CEFR), if the university degree was not obtained at an educational institution where English is the language of instruction.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Students do not pay any tuition fees, the university only charges semester fees and contributions each semester.
Living costs for Berlin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.