Course offerings feature approaches grounded in varied theories and disciplinary perspectives. Our courses engage with, for example, literature, film, culture, and media. The program's structure encourages students to develop their individual focus of study and research in consultation with faculty.
Students in the Germanic Studies program at the University of British Columbia have the opportunity to develop a comprehensive knowledge of German literary texts in their aesthetic, social, political, cultural, and historical dimensions. They will learn how to apply a variety of critical methods and theories to the study of cultural texts, while developing skills that are applicable to many career paths.
What makes the program unique?
Our graduate programs are situated in a thriving comparative department, which houses programs that concentrate on German, Scandinavian, and Slavic studies. Our departmental structure and the format of the degree encourage students to pursue their work in Germanic Studies with an interdisciplinary and transcultural approach.
Our faculty, whose expertise lies in all areas of German, Scandinavian, and Slavic studies, including gender/sexuality studies, film and media studies, and second language acquisition, prepare students for their future endeavours and support them with a range of professional development opportunities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- German Studies Research Methods
- Literary Theories
- Intermediate German
- Conversational German
- German Cinema
- German for Singers
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 98 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Applicants should browse faculty profiles and indicate in their application who they are interested in working with. However, it is not necessary for applicants to contact faculty members prior to their application.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8952 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5095 CAD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.